1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Czech-Ease case dilemma

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by ad9000, Aug 16, 2012.

1. ad9000

ad9000 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2004
    Leucadia, CA
    I'll try to keep this as short as possible, but it may not be easy.
    I bought a used Czech-Ease bass a couple of months ago. The bass didn't come with a case, but the price was right. I assumed I would have plenty of time to order a case from Gage or find one elsewhere before I have to fly with it on Oct. 4. I did some research before I bought the bass, and as the Featherweight case weighs in at under 50 lbs. I decided that would be preferable to the standard case (obviously a good way to go with commercial air travel as you avoid overweight charges).
    It turns out that the Featherweight cases are out of stock with Gage until after I hit the road, and they don't seem to exist anywhere else. There is a Gage standard Czech-Ease flight case available at LA Bass Works, so I may jump on that instead.
    Pluses in going with the standard case: is cheaper than the Featherweight, no cost in shipping it to me, available immediately, on this run the employer will reimburse me for the oversize and overweight charges anyway. And, with the additional cost of the Featherweight case vs. the standard case (plus the cost of shipping one to me) it would take a while before the Featherweight pencils out as a cost advantage, depending on how much road work I end up doing.
    Minuses: In the long run, if I ever travel with the standard case and have to pay for overweight charges myself, it's going to hurt.

Another question: Are there any other case manufacturers out there that could make a case for this instrument? Like the Gage cases, it would have to be under the airline size requirements.

Any opinions from seasoned travelers and/or Czech-Ease users would be greatly appreciated!

2. NicholasF

NicholasF Guest

Jan 17, 2012
    If your traveling soon (1 day-2weeks) order one from david, and he will let you borrow one while on back order. If not just order one from david. Isnt it worth protecting your instrument right for a life time of playability, and not having to replace an entire czech ease(2-6k), plus getting rid of a crappy off brand case.? You decide...

3. ad9000

ad9000 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2004
    Leucadia, CA
    Did I say I wanted a crappy off-brand case? And why the semi-hostile tone?

Just to be clear, the "standard" case I referred to IS also a Gage Czech-Ease case (the original version that weighs in around 58 lbs.)

Ben at Gage's shop offered to loan me a standard case, but the cost of shipping it across country twice is about half the cost of the case itself, so.. debatable whether that's cost effective in my situation.

4. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    If I were you I'd just go ahead and buy the standard case from Lisa. You need it fast and at least your gig coming up covers the extra weight charge. There are ways to save weight, you can remove to end-pin and it's collar quite easily, just pulls out with a twist most of the time. You might even try to think of a way to use your C-E gig soft bag as a makeshift carry-on bag. lets say you had a fly-in gig some weekend. You could pack a weekend's worth of stuff, a change of cloths, your gig suit folded inside and your end-pin and collar too. Zip it up, fold the neck part over and secure it with a bungy cord. That's your carry-on if you don't put so much stuff in it so it won't fit in the overhead rack. Your standard case and bass, naked, with no case, bow, end-pin & collar and nothing else inside will be a lot closer to 50 lbs at that point. The airline might let you slide on the overweight fee. Another thing I have done is this, find the Skycap porters curbside at LAX, if that's where your flight departs from. Hand him a $20 tip as soon as you see him and ask him nicely to walk your case directly to the oversized check-in. Never a big line there and he's probably friends with the person working there. You will be likely viewed as a "cool guy/nice person" and they might take your bass without extra charge. I have had this experience many times. YMMV, good luck!
    As I understand it, the C-E isn't classed as "oversized" based on it's measurements but it can be "overweight". My case is the standard one, it's very sturdy and I'm happy with it. I'm staring right at it now here in my hotel room! Good luck and please tell Lisa hello for me, I have not seen her in years and only wish that there was someone here in Asia that could set-up a bass as well as she can!

5. ad9000

ad9000 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2004
    Leucadia, CA
    Mike,
    Thanks for the very useful information. The skycap tip is especially helpful, and yes, I am going out of LAX. I will give Lisa your regards.

6. statsc

statsc

Apr 23, 2010
    Burlington, VT
    You might want to consider shipping your Czech-Ease via Fed Ex. I shipped mine (in the ultra-light flight case) from Vermont to SF for $99 each way. You just drop it off at your local Fed Ex office, tell them which Fed Ex office you want to pick it up at, then pick it up there a few days later. No hassles carting it around airports; plus, I think they handle it more carefully! When I shipped mine, I don't think they even bothered to weigh it when they checked it in!

7. ad9000

ad9000 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2004
    Leucadia, CA
    That is actually not a bad idea - in this instance I probably can even get reimbursed for the FedEx charges. Thanks a lot for chiming in!