Czech it out

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nanook, Oct 31, 2000.

1. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    OK, what basses are made in the Czech Republic? I know the MTD Grendel line is made there but what else?

I was under the impression that Dean Basses were also made there but someone stated they were made in Korea. ??????
  2. There are Czech Spectors.
  3. Some Deans are made in the Czech Republic; these are the Edge Custom, Edge Select, and Edge Improv models.
  4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I think that Bossa basses are also from the Czech republic.

Will C.:cool:
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The Steinberger electric uprights are made in the Czech Republic. Very high quality - I tried out a couple in London.
  6. JerryH

Dec 13, 1999
    Helsinki, Finland
    Hi Folks,
    I have tried and was very near to swap my Sterling to Neuser Crusade 5 stringer last spring - when the GAS fever raises the hell breaks lose!!! There are couple of these beauties available or . The prices have come down quite a bit lately and now they are getting really affordable cause they look, play and sound good.

[Edited by JerryH on 11-02-2000 at 01:09 AM]
  7. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    how do the czech spector basses copmpare to the others?
  8. Hary

Hary Guest

Sep 19, 2000
    Hungary, Veszprém
    Don't know :D:D:D!
  9. The Czech Spectors are probably one of the finest instruments to be produced in that country.

A very nice bass to say the least.

"A Bass built for a lifetime..."
  10. RIZ is right, I've played Czech Spectors and MTD Grendels and they are both sweet. Almost made me whip out the czechbook!
  11. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    where is the ns/2000q5 made? czech or korea, oroushbfgouihgastan...??
  12. It's made in Korea.
  13. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    hmm.. are they good basses though? i am thinking about a spector 5 or a cort curbow 4... hmmm...
  14. Nah, for the price of an NS2000/Q5, you can get a Czech-made Dean Edge 5 which is essentially the same bass but has an alder back, wenge fretboard, a vastly better bridge, a real EMG preamp, and a stronger neck.
  15. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    ahh i dont really like deans.. i wanna try a usa spector 5 string... but very expensive.
  16. I believe that the NS2000 "Q" series are actually mfg'd in China, not Korea like the original NS2000's. China's labor costs are even lower than that of Korea, that in conjunction wth all the "changes" between the two, it's lower price here in the USA.

The Q series are barely compareable to the original NS2000's which have the trademark Ned Steinberger designed ergonomically carved and curved all maple bodies and neck-thru construction and sound.

The "Q" series have some sort of quilted-look veneer or decal applied over a basswood slab(flat) body, as well as a bolt on neck with a rather thin satin finish applied to the neck.

Seriously, IF you are looking at the NS2000 line of Spector basses, PLEASE! Think twice about the "Q" series. You must compare it to the original neck-thru version and try to decide what would be better for you in the long run. I know the neck-thru costs a bit more but you will be buying a bass which is alot closer to sounding what Stuart Spector intended his basses to sound's the rating system:

NS2000 Q series - just o.k. (barely)

NS2000 neck-thru's - Good!

Spector Czech series - Better !!

Spector U$A series - The gates of heaven have just opened !!!

All the best and good luck!!

P.S. I always get that warm fuzzy feeling when Dave Siff agree's with me. :) Thx Dave!

[Edited by RIZ on 11-03-2000 at 11:48 PM]
  17. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    cool.. i want a bass thats really good for metal. (nevermore, iron maiden, iced earth...) which my band plays and funk!! parliment, ewf.. which i play by myself.. i have heard alexis on a spector and he gets damn good slap tone on it.. if u want i can forward u an avi of him if i still ahve it..
  18. phogchris

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL

Actually, Bossa basses are made in Japan, but are beautiful "handmade" basses that are relatively expensive! :)
  19. Misanthrope

Feb 7, 2002
    i live in cz. .however.. err.... and i see u have more informations bout us then we do..

i have some limited serie neck through spector, then yep we do here some MTD`s (only those crappy models), in a past we had Jolana ;-) (awesome historical shhit, but some dudes play it till nowdays... well still better than cheap ibanez or epiphone).. then some my friends build basses... Especial K&K basses are very interesting... I had to have one but a maker wasn`t able to bring it in time so i have a spector now... From that I know we also do some useless work for gibson... but can`t say exactly now..

check out some my friends like Pavel Jakub Ryba..his hp is (he`s cool dude...really good 1, actually pretty well known, plays his ownmade and warwick) or Richard Scheufler .. don`t know about any his own homepage but here is an url and there is a short video of his playing
    he is a second really great czech bassist... and there is his K&K bass
  20. Neuser basses are nice - I'd love to try one of the new C-Club Passive basses, they look so sweet - but they're actually made in Slovakia, not the Czech republik. And, to add to the confusion, I think the business and design part of the Neuser company is located in Finland. I'm not entirely sure though, so please correct me if I'm wrong.