1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Czech laminate

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by ctxbass, Sep 19, 2004.

1. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    I had a little pre-gig time to kill in an old west Texas town tonight and walked into an antique shop. Lo and behold, up in a corner, was this bass with "hat-peg" style tyrolean tuners; a laminated flatback, made in Czechoslovokia.

The bridge was missing and the soundpost was thoughtfully hanging from a string. The label (mostly in tact) says Salvadin al Durro, B&J New York, sole importers. Some seams need glue, but the instrument seems solid enough.

The odd thing is that the finish on the back has come off in horzontal stripes. I wonder if the finish was applied in such a way to give a flamed appearance, so that now only part of it remains. Anyway, $125 later, I have a project. I figure I can always get that much from someone who wants a "wall-hanging".

2. Man. Why is it that I can't ever stumble on to something like that!?! Congratulations!! Let us know how your project progresses.