Czech Spector Comparisons

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by seamus, Feb 6, 2003.

1. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Hi All,

I did a search, but couldn't come up with the specific feedback I was looking for. I always knew my next bass would be a Czech 5, and I'm in the process of scoping one out. I am not set on a specific model, so I'm just as likely to pick up an older NS5CR with the EMG preamp, or one of the more recent models with the Aguilar preamp.

What I was wondering is if any of you our Spector fans on the TB boards could offer me some advice or feedback regarding the different preamps in these basses. Any noticeable sound differences? Which preamp would you prefer, and why?

For those of you who can offer a comparison between the P/J setup of the NS4CR series vs. the dual DC40's of the NS5CR series, that would be most appreciated as well.

Any other comparisons between the older Czech models and the more recent models would be great too. Playability, B string, etc.

Thanks everyone!
  2. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Personally, I wouldn't go for teh Kramer era Spectors if that's what your getting at. I think there is a noticeable quality difference between Kramer and somewhat newer spectors. As far as pre-amp, I really like the aguilar OBP-1 Spector has put in teh Czech series. It has full well rounded tone. I think the choice between the P/J pup set-up and the dual humbuckers is matter of personal taste, but I personally have never liked the tone of P pups. I think the dual humbuckers get a very smooth mellow tone with nice bassy low end. The P's are a little too aggressive sounding for me when combined with Spector's naturally agressive tone, hence Rex's love for the things. Just my 2 cents, hope it helps. :cool:
  3. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Absolutely, all input on the subject is of value to me, thanks. :)

Though I wouldn't be going back as far as the Kramer era basses (I agree, they're not my thing either), I may go for an older NS5CR which I believe would have had the EMG pre installed. I'm just seeking out whatever comparison info I can get from TB'ers who have played these basses over the years. Plus, I want to buy one before Spector begins putting their own preamps in these basses. Who knows, maybe they'll do a knockout job with it, but I'm one to go with a sure thing (i.e., the EMG or Aggie pres).
  4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Czech Spectors are very nice. I like the EMG's with either preamp. Both are quite brite. One bit of advice. If you can afford it, get yourself a bolt on NS-2J. It's USA made, oil finish, awesome! They list for just over 2K new. Call They'll cut you a deal.

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've owned 2 Kramer USA Spectors & I didn't see any quality issues. They're excellent basses & if you can find one, I see them sell for about the same price as Czechs, 4 strings anyway. Also, I've played ALOT of Kramer NS-2A's (neck thru Korean) & IMO, they're just as good, if not better then the NS-2000 neck thru's.

I agree witht eh Aguilar. It's is a much better pre-amp then the EMG BTS's that were in the older ones but the BTS loaded ones were awesome as well!!!! I also agree on your comparison of the PJ's & Dual DC's. PErsonally, I like the PJ because of the aggressiveness.
  6. Maestro4Bass

Jun 5, 2001
    Newark D.E
    What's really nice, would be a Czech Spector with an American Spector preamp. Also for the four (4) hole the EMG Variable Mid Control (VMC). Trust me I have one. But the neck is too tight at the nut for me :confused:
  7. T.B. Player

T.B. Player

Aug 10, 2002
    Orange, Texas
    My number one bass right now is a NS4CRFM with an Aguilar preamp. I tried out a NS5CRFM but I couldn't deal with the tight string spacing and I didn't care that much for the soapbars. They seemed a little subdued for a bass with EMGs. Then again I like agressive sounding basses and thats why I went for the PJ config. The Aguilar preamps really rounds out the EMGs tone better than the old style ones. I think the NS5CRFM would be great for pick style but I couldn't play slap that well on it. My 4 string begs to be slapped, so I do regularly to keep it in line. :cool:
  8. The spacing on the 5s aren't _that_ much tighter, but maybe it's just me.
    The older Czechs were cool but I think the newer ones sound much, much better. The EMG pre was kinda blah, but the Ag really lets the Spector tone shine thru.
    Dunno what that guy meant by round...when I tried through an SWR Redhead it got as fat as I wanted, but good and tight. Throaty too.
    The necks on the new basses are also a hell of a lot easier to play. The older Czech 5s felt like 2x4s.
  9. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    For those of you who mentioned it, I like the P/J config as well. It definitely has more bite. I think I could be happy with the soapbars too, and I'm leaning towards a bass with the Aguilar pre. I almost don't even care what it looks like, but they sure did make some nice cosmetic improvements over the older models, that's for sure.
  10. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I'm gonna say it, you can't go wrong with ANY sepctor.

Even the Kramer era ones were great. I sorta had a delima to, I wanted humbucker type pickups and not the p/j config. then they came out with the bolt on czech that have all have bar type pickups. I would go for the Czech with the OBP-1 in it, very nice pre amp, the new ones have a "9volt spector preamp". Somepeople say the P/J sounds more mid heavy, and the soapbar type lean more to better lows and highs? not sure if thats true, but ive heard it in some other spector thread. Once again

....You can not go wrong with ANY spector.....

except the olp one.....*COUGH*sellout*COUGH COUGH*......
  11. 3rdEye

Nov 30, 2002
    It's funny that this thread was started because I'm currently in the process of getting a P/J configuration in my NS5CRFM. The 40P and 40J will replace the 40DC's. The EMG P/J's to my ears has more bite with a nice punchy bottom end.The DC's don't really cut the way I'd like; kind of dull. I also have a Bartolini NTBT 2band preamp in my Czech 5. I had the Aguilar but didn't really dig the boost only feature so I took it out and put in the Bart wired to 18v. On the Spector I like to cut the treble a little and boost the bass just a little. The Bart-pre has just as much headroom and even more warmth as the Aguilar but its cut and boost and its smoother.
  12. Well I've not got much experience with the newer Spectors, but I have 2 NS5CRs one Spector one SSD (logos on headstock and pups seem to be the only difference).

Both of these have EMG BT preamp, the SSD one ha unbranded sopabars, the Spector one has EMG DC40s. I've upgraded both to 18 volts and they both sound really good (to me, although the EMG pup equipped one is a bit better sounding) They both play,feel and aside from colour look the same!

I also have a REX 2000/5 - EMG Hz pups with the same EMG peamp. This is also an 18 v convert and sounds real good.

I briefly had an NS4CR. It was OK. sounded OK but I didn't keep it as I really prefer the feel of the 5 strings and I like the sound from them too!
  13. If you want the Aggie pre, you'll have to buy used now, or find a place with new-old-stock, as Spector is no longer including Aggie's in the Czech models. I don't think anyone knows yet what the "new Spector preamp" sounds like, or if its even the same pre as in the USA series.
  14. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Yep, I'm definitely buying used. The new Spector pre may be great, but I'd rather stick with electronics that I already know are great.

Any opinions on what a mint NS5CRFM should cost? I'm thinking if it's in like new condition, and it's the more recent model with the cosmetic upgrades and Aggie pre, would $1,100 be a safe bet?
  15. sounds about right, if not a little high.
  16. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yeah, could probably get it cheaper, but if you find one in mint for that price it's money well spent.
  17. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Yeah, I agree with both of your comments re: price. Even if the price ends up on the high side, they are well worth it. Great basses!
  18. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    If your good at combing for deals, you should be able to do better 1100..I coudl probably find one in NM for aorund $900