1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

D’addario Chrome flats. So far, not good.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Tazziedevil, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Tazziedevil

Tazziedevil

Apr 2, 2019
    Tasmania
    I’ve used Rotosound 77’s for years and years on all my Basses- fretted and Fretless. Just picked up a brand new P bass, took off the rounds that came installed and though maybe I’d try something different- D’Addario Chrome flats.

Thinking that was a bad move. Been on about a week, and they seem to be combine the worst of flats and rounds in one expensive package.

they sound zingy like a round (which I don’t like). I know it’s a new string , but it is so metallic I have to boost the bass and dramatically cuts the mid-highs on my amp to keep the bright metallic zing from taking over everything. They sound far more metallic than the nickel rounds they came with.

They’re sticky, almost like they’ve been rubbed with... I don’t know? Wax? Lubricant? It’s quite fatiguing to play them since it almost feels like I’m fighting the coating. I’m not a bass shredder or anything, but it’s like working out with ankle weights.

I’m in Australia and it’s not cheap to replace your bass strings- this set cost me nearly a hundred bucks, so I’m stuck with them for awhile

should probably just stick with what I know works next time!

2. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Too much tension for mine.

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  3. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Your fighting two common things. One is that flats take time to settle into their intended tone. The other is that some flats come with something on them that makes them "sticky" for a while. Both require time and playing.

- John

Atshen, Tommy V, BurnOut and 15 others like this.
  4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Always best to cut rather than add. Try cutting your highs. These need a bit to break in as they sound quite brilliant at first.

Tension... you can't say too much tension and not specify the gauges... You can do a set 40-95 or even 32-80 using custom gauges so saying too much tension is irreverent.

Aqualung60, MattZilla, MCF and 2 others like this.
  5. What gauges of Roto 77's have you used? What gauges of the Chromes did you get?

They do take a few months to settle. But the "hi-mid metallic clank" you're talking about is what makes the Chromes sound the way they do as a "semi-modern flatwound", vs. traditional flats, such as La Bella and GHS.

The initial stickiness comes from the residue of the compound used in the final polishing process at the factory. That's why it's always a good idea to give them (or any other flats) a thorough wipedown BEFORE INSTALLATION. That said, the stickiness will eventually wear off with use.

Root 5, bassdude51, DJ Bebop and 3 others like this.
  6. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

Jun 14, 2013
    Agree with everything already said, but thought I would add a question - have you heard them in a mix yet? As in a band mix? I love Chromes, but mostly because of how they sound when in a full ensemble. I have them on my PJ bass but have used them lots. Just curious - you may still hate them but its worth a try.

Atshen, Rickter, matthewbrown and 9 others like this.
  7. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    I'm an Aussie who's been living in NZ for two years so i know what it's like to have to spend so much more than those in the US.

Firstly.... you paid too much. Artist guitars sell them for $72 with free delivery. Used to be $60 not so long ago which is why I used them. Much as I'd like to try some TI Jazz Flats i can't bring myself to pay $120 to try them.

Secondly, the stickiness will disappear and you'll be left with fantastic feeling strings that will make your round wound strings feel like horrible cheese graters forever more.;)

The brightness will also reduce however they are a bit brighter than the average flat which i like but each to their own.

If you never try anything new you'll never change. That's boring! Sure, trying new stuff will occasionally cost you but if you never tried anything new you wouldn't even own a bass.

Atshen, thabassmon, Marikk and 6 others like this.
  8. Lovep

Lovep Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    How many hours have you put in on them? My flats took several weeks of playing before they started to sound right to me. I was a bit bummed since I spent over $100 on them (TI flats). Now, I’m sure they will be on this bass for years to come.

I’d say give them time. Mine were sticky a bit too... Try wiping them down before and after use to get whatever gunk is on them from the factory and during playing.

MCF likes this.
  9. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    That's part of what i like about chromes flats. They do seem to sit in a mix nicely and when you grab a few notes on the D and G strings in a fill they just stand out.

10. I have a set of Super Light Chromes on one P bass, DR sunbeams on the other. At first I enjoyed the feel and sound of the Chromes...

Took the Chrome bass to a gig Saturday, it was dull and weak. Took the Sunbeam bass to a gig Sunday, it was tight and punchy. Felt like coming back home.

so for now, I’ll be sticking with my rounds, thanks! :bag:

mdogs likes this.
  11. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Kill those flats.

Original ucerine cream ftw!!!!

12. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    I have never liked Chromes on a P. Tried several times. However, just put some on a Ric 4003, and they're great. On my Ps, I prefer La Bella Flexible or TI.

Also, I've heard Chromes should be rubbed down with alcohol before being applied. That might help with feel, but not sound. I did this on my set, and they feel great.

13. A great point!

According to my own experience, the D'A Chromes do sound better in a band mix than they do on their own. That "metallic clank" is what helps them be heard in a mix.

BAG, DJ Bebop and SmokinJoe992 like this.
  14. JohnnyBottom

JohnnyBottom Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Always too bright for me, and didnt have the patience to wait for them to sound good.
    Now I use ghs precision flats on everything. To me, sounds great out of the box on all
    my basses, Alembic, p bass, jack cassidy, musician etc..

petch, Kipp Harrington and bassdude51 like this.
  15. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Whether they are good for you tone-wise is totally dependent on the bass they are on and what you are playing. On every bass I've tried them on, I like them better than Labellas, which for me tend to get lost in my classic rock band.

In any event, I'd say month of heavy playing is needed to bring out their final character.

lermgalieu likes this.
  16. furym

furym

Aug 31, 2014
    Carthage, NC
    I have a set on an old 90s Peavy Fury and I love them. I put a set on my Fender American Standard Precision 5 String and hated them! I took them off in less than a week and eventually went back to the factory rounds after trying La Bella Deep Talking Flats too. Depends on the bass. Play what you like best. Sucks it costs so much to find out though.

17. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it Supporting Member

I like Chromes, but agree they take some time to 'break in'. I think they are good.

Atshen and bassdude51 like this.
  18. What they said. Break ‘em in then decide.

DrThumpenstein likes this.
  19. New chromes are a bit sticky and sound very bright. Give them some time to break in. When I first went to chromes I had the same experience but as they mellowed out after a few months, I fell in love with them. Be patient and give them a chance. Your fingers will love them. :D

20. Tazziedevil

Tazziedevil

Apr 2, 2019
    Tasmania

I can’t remember what gauge of Roto’s. my local only has one gauge in stock, probably 45-105. The one in the red packaging.

the Chromes I picked up were 50-105. I thought the slightly thicker G would help the plinkiness, but because of the bright metallic clack it’s worse than the thin round TBH.