1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

D’addario helicores e and a sound very metallic

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by JKessell, Mar 30, 2020.

1. JKessell

JKessell

May 12, 2017
    I’ve recently started playing upright and decided to restring my bass with helicore pizzicato light tension.

The G and D strings sound great - woody and rich, like an upright should sound.

The E and A strings though sound awful to my ears. The sound is incredibly metallic and to be honest sounds more like an acoustic bass guitar than an upright.

It’s much more noticeable when the strings are played open but even when fingering a note the difference between the two pairs of strings is night and day.

Is this just something that happens with new sets of strings and will eventually break in? Even if this is true why is there such a big difference between the bass and treble strings?

Thanks in advance

2. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    d'addario pizz are the most metalic EA strings ive ever come across, even against spiros and perpetuals. Give them time to break in. Wipe down the DG strings after each playing session but not the EA. I've even put a dab of olive oil on a paper towel and put some oil on strings overnight to deaden them a little.

PBandJazzBass, JKessell and dkziemann like this.
  3. dkziemann

dkziemann

Dec 13, 2007
    Vienna, Austria
    Endorsed by D'Addario
    Hey there! Sam's advice is spot-on. I almost exclusively play D'Addario pizz strings and have for six years. As I tell anyone who tries them, wait at least a month for them to settle in. They're always a bit wild at first. I can say confidently that they do lose their edge and are quite musical.

I think the difference between treble and bass tone is quite dependent on the instrument, and less so with these particular strings :)

PBandJazzBass and Sam Dingle like this.
  4. You can put a small strip of thin rubber (bicycle inner tube or even thinner) between string and fingerboard at the nut to damp the high frequencies for the open string.

To damp the high frequencies on the open and fingered string you could try a tone filter (rubber disk with hole in the middle) at the bridge. I have no idea how well they work on the lower strings, they are usually used for a bright G string.

5. JKessell

JKessell

May 12, 2017
    Thanks, I’ll give that a try

6. The Hybrids are the same way fresh out of the pack. Give them about a month and they should settle down just fine. It can be difficult, if not impossible, to judge a set of strings when they're brand new.

dkziemann and DoubleMIDI like this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021