Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

D-130F's for bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by droogie, Jun 1, 2005.

1. droogie

droogie

May 30, 2005
    I've got an old Sunn cabinet with 2 JBL D-130F's. I'm looking to get a new amp and wonder what peoples' thoughts are on keeping this cabinet and getting a new head, or just starting over. I understand the D-130 is a guitar speaker. Hence my question.

Thanks.

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The D130F was a good guitar speaker but not good for bass. It won't stand up to the relatively long excursions a bass creates at any high volume. We used to use them before the D140 (for bass) came out but they would eventually fail.

You're better off keeping them for guitar and getting something designed for bass.

3. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
  4. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    My understanding is the D-140 was a D-130 with a bass cone/coil.

A lot of blown D-130s were routinely reconed as D-140s back in the old days to extend life as a guitar speaker or be interchangeably used as bass drivers, according to some sources I've heard over the years. How one could determine if there were D-140 cones in these frames, I don't know.

I have a Sunn 2x15" with D-140s in it that goes with my Sunn Sorãdo, a 2xKT88 bass head giving around 65WRMS, and that was about all the amp those speakers could reliably handle.

I think any modern head would make pretty short work of my cab, to say nothing of one with D-130s. :(

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The original D130s were also only 75 watters. That was top of the line then, but so were 100 watt amps. Sell them to an audiophile, they're still in high demand for hi-eff hi-fi midbasses. Post them at audioasylum or audioroundtable.

6. I saw a pair of D130F last week, but passed them by. Both were loaded into good reproductions of the JBL rear-loading scoop horn.

Woulda taken 'em if D140, but they were not. Guy is willing to off them for $100 for the group, including a pair of Altec 1" compression drivers and 19" horns. Nice deal, but local pickup in Sacramento. The scoops are huge, and there are two of them.

D130F was the rage when I was a kid playing in the 1960s. Great guitar speaker, but an early death with electric bass.

7. The D130 was the original speaker. Dick Dale was using these with dimed Fender Showmasters and blowing the speakers on a regular basis during his surf shows on the California beaches. According to steel guitarist Jody Carver, who was a Fender rep at the time, he complained a lot and Leo talked JBL into a stronger speaker. The D130F was born (F for Fender). It was still a guitar speaker and is currently very highly sought after by the steel guitar community. It worked for bass when the Fender Bassman was a 50 watt head. The D140 is the bass speaker to use with today's high powered heads. You could get some pretty good money for the D130Fs by posting them on www.steelguitarforum.com