D Addario vs. Fender

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by frankencow150, Feb 1, 2002.

1. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    What nickle strings do you think will keep the clickity-clank sound longer?

The d addario XL's .045-.100
    or the fender super bass .045-.100

Or if you have any other suggestions for 20 bucks or under please tell.
  2. Toneman

Jun 6, 2001
    Long Island
    imho the XL's are more metalic sounding, the fenders are a little mellower. Both good strings for the price It sounds like you'd be happy with the D'Addario's.
  3. How often do you plan to replace your strings, if not every 1-2 weeks. Then neither will do. I use both types of strings on my basses. The D'Addario's sound doesn't last as the Super Bass's do, but it starts of much more metallic
  4. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I'm 13 and I dont have a job,so i would never be able to afford to change my strings every 1-2 weeks.I change them every 5-6 months.I just wanna know which one holds the metallic sound longer,I have on d addario's right now,and i like them.I just wanted to know do the fender super's hold the metallic sound longer.
  5. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    You might try steel strings.
  6. Fender strings suck. I tried them once, and will never use them again. After two 3 hour long practices, they had lost all of their punch, new soundingness (is that a word?)

Personally I prefer the D'Addario over anything.
  7. The strings will loose their new sound eventually. -Probably after playing a week or so they'll start to sound boomy and feel greasy etc... -Well, take off your strings, put them in a pot of cold, fresh water, and let 'em boil for, say, 30 minutes. Rinse them in cold water, unwind them and let them hang to dry up for a couple of hours, then put them back on... -They'll sound like new again !!
    I've found that D'Addario's break easier than Fender strings. On the other hand, Fender strings dries out my right hand fingers, and make them black !!! -Still, they're very durable, and sound great...
    I mostly use Fender strings, sometimes Rotosound.
    Fender because their durability and sound and price. Rotosound because they are GREAT strings...
    Good luck with your playing - GROOVE ON !!!
  8. First I'm going to have to say neither. I haven't had any good experiences with either, D'addarios I've had break, and Fender roundwounds just go dead really quickly. I suggest if you want a bright clang you look tword Steels, Dean Markley Blue Steels are probobly the best option... however the Blue Steels are kind of expensive, but they last.
  9. Jeremy_X

Jan 29, 2002
    A little off topic but does that boiling trick really work?
  10. - It may sound absurd, but, YES, boiling strings make them sound like new ! -Don't tell this to the string manufacturers, they might get kinda pissed off about it...:D
    The main reason why the strings loose their brightness and clarity is because dirt from your fingers (fat, dead skin, and other grose stuff) will stick to your strings. A great way to remove this is boiling the strings. You can also try to dish them, like you dish your cups and cutlery... It works too, but I recommend boiling them. If the strings are very dirty, you can add a little drop of dish soap in the water, but beware, they'll boil over, and your kitchen will be one mess of water... Anyway, the strings will eventually wear out, both because of use and perhaps also the boiling process, and after the 5th or 6th boiling, the strings are likely to break. But still, they've lasted 5-6 times longer anyway, and that's quite a lot of money saved ! -And imagine how proud your mom,wife or whatever woman in your surroundings will be when she finds you at the kitchen, boiling strings :D ;)
    -Another tip of advice: don't use the pot you use for boiling strings for anything else. It gets full of that old dirt from your fingers, and that's grose !
    Good luck !! ;)
  11. Jeremy_X

Jan 29, 2002
    Thanks Raymondn1! I can't wait to see the faces I am going to get. Should be worth the work!