1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

D' Addarios on a Warwick?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by javier69, Apr 20, 2010.

1. javier69

javier69

Mar 6, 2008
    :bassist: I Today I receive my Warwick Corvette (jazz configuration) and I'll see that it came with stainless steel set on it, and on they recommned SS on this (it have nickel frets) the thing is that I like Nickel ones I think sound more smooth groovie,'
    Do you use nickel strings on yours? of course if you have a Warwick... I know that the sound change a little bit.., but who cares if it feels good!

2. javier69

javier69

Mar 6, 2008
    any?

3. jpfbass

jpfbass

Sep 28, 2009
    Chicago
    Yea I have nickel strings on mine. The frets have some wear where the strings touch them, but that's just cause the previous owner had nickels on it for years I think. And aren't the frets bell brass or something?

4. javier69

javier69

Mar 6, 2008
    Sound good? How you compare it vs the Stainless Steel that came on it? better?

5. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I used to use Ernie Balls on mine exclusively.

6. bassdaddyfive

bassdaddyfive

Feb 12, 2009
    Kenosha Wi.
    I use Ken Smith Custom Balanced Taper Core on my Corvette 5 string.

7. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    SS strings keep the Warwick gods happy.

8. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    The stock strings on my Ws (I think those are Black Labels) chewed my frets after very little playing time, so I would recommend using nickel ones instead of SS. I learned my lesson and now I'm using only coated strings (Elixir).

9. gricko

gricko

Mar 29, 2004
    thumb, nickel strings, bell brass frets. there is a significant fret wear. but the sound is awesome.
    will change frets w/ steel ones as soon as a replacement bass arrives.

10. willyrep

willyrep

Mar 4, 2008
    New Orleans
    Stainless steel will contribute some mids and punch to your tone. I'm a P-bass w/ flats kinda guy and I have had good luck with MTD stainless steels on my Warwicks-sound good even when they're dead,too. Lots of snap......

11. Shmone

Shmone

Feb 16, 2009
    Israel
    I use only nickels on my streamer, can't stand the feel of SS.
    also I really like the sound of the nickel on it, it has a smooth groovie sound like you described and still growls like a wick should :)

12. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    For the record, "bell brass" just means that the brass is colored yellowish instead of the chrome color we're used to. Any "wear" you're seeing is likely just the yellow color coming off.

SS frets should be standard, though. There's not enough of a cost difference in them when the difference is an added 10% or so to the lifespan of the instrument.

13. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    Nope, I was talking about real fret wear.

Thumb
    [​IMG]

Corvette
    [​IMG]

14. javier69

javier69

Mar 6, 2008
    Woaaaa!!! Nickel on it Rules! I just make a change to nickel on mine and sound BETTER by far than the ones that came on it.

15. javier69

javier69

Mar 6, 2008
    :eek:

16. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    That seems excessive, for any fret material. I've used SS strings for years on various basses and never had anything like that happen to me.

17. Mudcat35

Mudcat35

Feb 21, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I use D'Addario nickels exclusively on my Corvette. I have the bell brass frets as well, and I am experiencing wear. For this bass, and for the band I'm playing in, the nickels give me the sound I need. SS is too bright, flats too dull.

18. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

I put Elixirs on my Warwick and it was just killer.

19. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007

I don't know what is going on with Ws these days, but their fret material seems very feeble - those were brand new instruments, shipped straight from the factory. The marks appeared after 1 - 2 months of playing at home (so very casual playing, nothing extreme or whatever). Either the frets are rubbish, or their factory strings are made from genuine Alien saliva...the set up was done by the company, and as advetised it's supposed to be flawless, since it's done by a computer - so it's not a case of too low action/bad set up, etc.

20. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Sounds like you need to upgrade to crystal frets. :)