1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

D and Eb Scales in Thumb Position

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by John Crosley, Jan 2, 2012.

1. I have not been able to get a lesson for some time now, so I can't really ask my teacher. I am trying to work up some exercises (Scales and Arpegios) in thumb position. In studying on here and other forums, shifting seems to be the key to a lot of this instrument, both upper and lower registers.

I have got (or am getting) down poitions for C, G, F, and Bb. How do you guys play D or Eb (as well as any other 'non-open') scales in TP? My fingering i started using is as follows:

D string - Thumb on the D octave, E - 1, F# -2, G - 3, shift both string and position to the G string and play A - T, B - 1, C# - 2, D - 3.

Kind of a tetra chord pattern of fingering. I do the same for the Eb scale. Is this acceptable, and/or correct? What should I be doing? Also, what about say Ab, F#, B, Db, and any other closed fingered scales? Both major and minor, as well as blues scales (as I know them E for example E, G, A, Bb, B, D, E). Help is very much appreciated! :help: :confused: :eek: :meh:

2. i will try to give a good starting fingering for the D-major scale. It uses the D and G string and includes one shift. Hope this notation makes sense:

Note - Finger (string, if changed)

D - 1 (D), E - 2, F# - t (G), G - 1, A - 3
    Shift-> B - 1, C# - 2, D - 3

you can take this pattern up a half step for Eb. In fact, the teacher that showed this to me had me take it up chromatically to G and then back down. Hope this is helpful

3. ethnotime

ethnotime

Sep 24, 2006
    New York, NY
    that's a good one. Also try:

D String: D(t) E(1) F#(2)
    G String: G(t) A(1) B(2) then shift up C#(1) D(2)

4. Thanks for the tips guys. Meandering, I put together my own triad inversion exercise and the fingering you give fits really well with what I am trying to do. It just seems like some of those shifts in playing the actual scales are really big.

I don't spend a whole lot of time up there in my actual playing situations, but I am always wanting to be prepared just in case a phrase hits me that I just need to get out.

I have read elsewhere in these forums that I can use the thumb as a movable capo. with that in mind, the 'closed' scales I am asking about (B, Db, etc.) can be played simply moving my hand a half step one way or the other? E.G. for B my thumb would actually be on the C# (D string) instead of the octave as in playing the C scale?

5. Check the fingerings again. There is only one shift and it is a whole step, e.g. A to B for D major. Could be an issue with my imperfect notation. Let me know if it's not clear.

The fingering i presented can be viewed this way as well. In the starting position, your first finger plays the root and your thumb the third. Try playing the D major scale ascending then descending. Once your return to the root, slide your first finger up a half step and use the same fingering, e.g. an Eb major scale. Continue moving up in half steps until your reach, say, G or your hand gives out. This will really work your thumb position, so take it slow.

6. Yes, it is a whole step only, but I am also studying 'finger replacement' techniques. I am looking at the third finger on the A, then shift to the thumb on the B as being a big shift due to having to target a note not already under my hand in some way. The thumb is actually shifting a fourth. Or am I missing something?

7. i see what you mean now. If you use your first finger for the B, try shifting your thumb behind it to A. This way the B,C#,D sequence is played in the "diatonic position" (using Petracchi's nomenclature). The thumb then shifts up a minor 3rd. NOTE: the diatonic position covers the first four notes of a major scale with t,1,2,3.

To smooth out the shift, i've started the scale at A (with finger 3) and played up to D and back down (over and over and over).