Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

D.E.P.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Anyone have the new Dillinger Escape Plan?

2. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    I have it. Is it out in stores yet?
    Very good stuff. The new singer works out well. Clearly he kept some Patton influence from DEP's last album.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It's on it's way. Reporting will commence after I listen to it.

4. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I am really curious to hear what you think. It is different. Not as different as the new Candiria, but it is different. I like it. I'll just say to me it sounds like Mr. Patton really rubbed off on them. Calculating Infinity is still easily my favorite, though I've only heard the new one once, and on crappy work speakers.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm utterly indifferent. Which is a bad thing. I'm sitting there, listening, going "Well, it's certainly harcore, and it appears to be DEP. Huh."

Maybe it's just saturation, and since everyone copped them, they sound less impressive by result. But, no, I check some 43% Burnt, and it's the DEP I know and have my ears bleed to.

I think it suffers from too much emphasis on the vocals, and the music is down in the mix; almost like Glassjaw's debut album, really. That's what I kept thinking: Glassjaw.

I hate Glassjaw.

It's not as big a letdown as Candiria, but I'm not very impressed, none the less.

...I'm a rock critic from hell. So save the masses if I ever got up off my ass and decided to actually publish reviews and whatnot.

6. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Really- Glassjaw? Ouch! I'm not a glassjaw fan. You are the critic from hell, but as much as you'd save me from bad purchases, I might miss a couple of albums I'd have otherwise liked.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, that means when I like an album, rest assured you won't be let down.

My advice: go buy both of 36 Crazyfists albums,
    Bitterness the Star and A Snow Capped Romance. Fine, fine albums. Sorta post-hardcore/metal/emo/screamo stuff. It's hard to put your finger on, but it's got solid bass work (that you can hear!), texture oriented guitar, and rock drumming that works it like a mofo.

Listen. Love.

8. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    OK, I will. that will test the theory.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Trust the beard, Josh, trust the beard.

Frankly, I'm not sure which you should listen to first, but do make sure you listen to the entire album before passing judgment.

(I'm not adocating spending ~$24 on my behalf. There are certain programs I've heard rumors about...)

10. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I will listen to the entire album before passing anything. :eek:

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    They've been one of my favorite bands for a while now. I've debated starting a slathering fanboy thread, but I'll settle for hijacking.

12. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ain't I a stinker?

14. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I will second this recommendation. I saw 36 open for Candiria a few years ago, and they blew my ass off the map.

15. On the flipside of all this, I think DEP is probably among the worst bands ever in existance and I think Glassjaw are musical geniouses.

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You like emo. You have no opinion.

17. Some, not all.

18. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Get the hell out of my thread wackjob. :D

19. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    OK, I bought it, I'm listening to track number 2 right now. I will not say anything until I have listened to the whole thing at least twice.

20. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Which one, Bitterness the Star, or A Snow Capped Romance?