D-Fretless or Not

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JRBrown, Jun 15, 2002.

1. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I'm looking for a fretless bass. I've got an Alembic Orion-4 fretted. I advertized to trade it for a fretless, then one talkbasser offered to sell me his bass and have the frets removed. MMMM...

I'll just have my Alembic D-Fretted!

What are the pros and con?
  2. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i will still sell you my spector!!!:D
  3. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    If I didn't have an Alembic already, I'd make you an offer on yours - it's a very nice bass!

If I were you, I would sell this one on eBay, then go shopping for a fretless. If you defret this one, it will loose it's value.

On the other hand, Alembics are ideal for defretting cause they have ebony fingerboards, which means you would only need to (carefully) remove the frets and fill them up with something.

Do a search for threads on how to do this properly. Also, there is a nice article on it on Mike Lull's site, and there is an old article by Rick Turner that will come up on Google search.
  4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I would risk to hurt an Alembic by defretting it.
    At least, have a professionnal do it for you.
  5. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD

It doesn't matter. Thay are the same.

This site is really good. It has step by step instructions, and pics to go along with each one.

I plan to do this to my Ibanez TR500 soon.
  6. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Any idea on what it will cost?
  7. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I would either have Mike Lull or Michael Dolan defret your bass. I believe the cost is around $200 to defret, true the fingerboard and fill the fretlines.

You have a beautiful Alembic. I suggest you just have it professionally defretted and keep it. Ebony is the best fretboard material for an electric fretless.

8. I don't know, but I was getting sick of fret buzz and decided to file them down. Then, just playing around, I figured I'd lift out the last fret to see how hard it is, not even thinking it would come out. 10 minutes later, the fret is out, no chips in the fretboard, the fret itself still in perfect condition. I'm really considering defretting mine myself right now.
  9. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I'm with Brooks on this one. I'd say sell it and find another fretless. Unless you got into that thing Really cheap, the value loss wouldn't be worth it.
    But if you do decide to have it defretted, I'd talk to the people at Alembic first, and if they won't do it I'd have another pro do it.