D/FW TBers: Where to head for a setup?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JoeRules00, Dec 29, 2002.

1. I'm in need of a setup for my Essex (really gonna be some minor things such as loosening the truss rod, raising the pickups, checkin intonation, and lastly, installing some new pots) and I'm wonderin where the best place to go is. I figured Guitar Center can do it, but I'm a bit reluctant to let them have at it. Got a place that does awesome work on setups, or hell, even feel like doin it yourself? Let me know! Thanks!
  2. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    This is something I'd like to know too because I have yet to find someone around here that I trust setting up my basses.
  3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Can I make a suggestion?

Learning to do your own basic setups is an extremely valuable skill. Remember, most basses need to be tweaked when the seasons change and any time you change types or brands of strings. It really isn't difficult at all.

Here's a link to Fender's recommended setup technique:

Mr. Gearhead Bass Setup Instructions

Seriously, give it a try. If you run into trouble, you can always ask here and/or take it to a pro. Just don't force anything!
  4. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    i would recommend you do it yourself. It's really not that hard, and there are tons of resourses to use to learn with.
    That being said, you could try Guitar focus. It's in your area, south of Desoto on Ovilla road, and Tim is a great guy to talk to. i don't have their number, but it would be easy to look up. While you're there, play some of the MM basses he has, and try out his Trace Elliot cabs and amps.
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Larry Morgan Music has a good reputation for setups and repairs. I have no idea how much they charge.
  6. I received a good setup from Larry Morgan Music for around $35-40 IIRC, but I would recommend Scott Meador at Charley's Guitar Shop over Larry Morgan. I appreciated how Scott inquired about my preferences, technique, style, etc. before embarking on the setup. In addition, Scott was very quick to spend time after the setup to fine-tune the setup to my liking. The Larry Morgan crew is solid, but I would recommend Scott. My most recent number for him is (972) 243-1752.
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Danny, how much does Scott charge?
  8. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    I love all the guys at Morgan's but I wouldn't give them my bass just for a setup... (I do everything my self anyway...) MAJOR surgery, maybe, but not a setup...

I've never done business with Charley's, it just seems a bit too $$$ the "if you have to ask it's too expensive" type place...

the BEST setup guy in town (well in the area) is Jim ?????? at Texas Guitar and Sound in Lewisville. he owns a real nice high end guitar shop off business 121, west of 35 (behind the McDonalds with the red caboose) and is the setup KING. He does studio stuff, and frequently travels to *BIG NAME FAMOUS PLAYER* to set up/ tweek gear prior to studio/touring...

He also brokers rare/one of a kind/famous owner instruments... at one point he had one of Duane Allman's Les Paul's in the shop that he was selling for the family to a specific buyer...

heck of a nice guy too.
  9. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    but I too must add... You gotta learn to do it yourself. it's $50 down the tube for a few minutes of work....

If using resources off the web or from the series from a few months back in Bass Player scares you, take your instrument to the setup guy of your choice, pay him for a set up and ask if he would show you what he's doing... most guys will gladly impart knowlege... you may have to schedule a time that will work, don't expect to walk in and get it done, but in the long run, it will save you money and put you in better command of your instrument.

case in point: last summer I had a gig in south Texas, we loaded all the gear into a trailer and took off... when we got to the venue after 8 hours on the road and a considerable change in temp/humidity the action on one of my basses had tweeked just enough for me to *hate* it. Did I worry, No... I yanked out the hex wrenches and screwdrivers and put it right...
  10. Now there's an idea.