D,G,C,F tuning. What gauge and brand of strings work best?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BassIsBest, Aug 6, 2000.

1. BassIsBest

Jun 7, 2000
    Hey, I was thinking of going back to playing a 4-string. I get a little tired of that low A getting in the way, but I still want to be able to go pretty low, ok? So what string gauges and brand would work best for tuning down a Thumb-4 string about 1 step?? You know, D,G,C,F. Help!! <:)
  2. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Your particular style of playing really factors in to this. Do you play with a pick? Fingerstyle? Heavy or soft attack? I play a Fender Jazz tuned down 1/2 step but have a pretty strong attack both fingerstyle and pick. I prefer Dean Markley Blue Steel 105 85 70 50 with a fairly high action. What strings have you used in the past?
  3. BassIsBest

Jun 7, 2000
    Well I play Fingers like a bassist should (IMO). I Never use a pick. My attack is pretty hard most of the time. And the brand of strings I have on my 5 right now are Elixir soft, long scale, which are finally starting to sound good. It is tuned down a whole step. I want to go back to a 4 because, for one thing I already have a 5, and for another I almost never use those really low notes. However I want to keep the other strings low. I have found strings I like pretty good, I just like to hear opinions from my bassist brethren, k?
  4. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I think Ernie Ball roundwounds .045, .065, .085 and .130, and i think it´s cool..pretty heavy e-string, though..
  5. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    If you're tuning down a whole step, you probably want to go with a heavy gauge. That will maintain some tension. If that's too stiff you could try mediums, but I would imagine mediums could be pretty floppy down a whole step.

Curious: does the rest of the band tune down, or do you have to transpose?