Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

D,G,C,F tuning. What gauge and brand of strings work best?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BassIsBest, Aug 6, 2000.

1. BassIsBest

BassIsBest

Jun 7, 2000
    Hey, I was thinking of going back to playing a 4-string. I get a little tired of that low A getting in the way, but I still want to be able to go pretty low, ok? So what string gauges and brand would work best for tuning down a Thumb-4 string about 1 step?? You know, D,G,C,F. Help!! <:)

2. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Your particular style of playing really factors in to this. Do you play with a pick? Fingerstyle? Heavy or soft attack? I play a Fender Jazz tuned down 1/2 step but have a pretty strong attack both fingerstyle and pick. I prefer Dean Markley Blue Steel 105 85 70 50 with a fairly high action. What strings have you used in the past?

3. BassIsBest

BassIsBest

Jun 7, 2000
    Well I play Fingers like a bassist should (IMO). I Never use a pick. My attack is pretty hard most of the time. And the brand of strings I have on my 5 right now are Elixir soft, long scale, which are finally starting to sound good. It is tuned down a whole step. I want to go back to a 4 because, for one thing I already have a 5, and for another I almost never use those really low notes. However I want to keep the other strings low. I have found strings I like pretty good, I just like to hear opinions from my bassist brethren, k?

4. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I think ernie ball roundwounds .045, .065, .085 and .130, and i think it´s cool..pretty heavy e-string, though..

5. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    If you're tuning down a whole step, you probably want to go with a heavy gauge. That will maintain some tension. If that's too stiff you could try mediums, but I would imagine mediums could be pretty floppy down a whole step.

Curious: does the rest of the band tune down, or do you have to transpose?