Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

D & G gut, E & A steel?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by AlexFeldman, Jan 3, 2001.

1. AlexFeldman

AlexFeldman

Jun 18, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hey everybody,

What's the deal with replacing your top two steel strings with gut strings? Does anyone here do this?

I've seen a few people with their basses set up that way (and from picture of Mingus' bass, I think he had it that way also), and I dug their sound. I was considering ordering two LaBellas and giving it a try. Is there anything I should know before I attempt this?

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    It seemed to be a big thing in the 60's-70's as I recall, at least every bassist in North Jersey I knew in the Union went that way.

I second Ed's comment -- I don't miss 'em, either. Frankly, I think the state of the art for metal-based strings has come ahead leaps and bounds in the past 30 yrs.

Jeez, I'm a geezer! Or at least I sound like one.

3. I use Pirastro Oliv, all four strings are gut wrapped in steel. I love 'em.

I don't think Ming used any steel. I think I recall him ranting against them in an interview I read. As best as I can tell from his sound he didn't use steel.

4. AlexFeldman

AlexFeldman

Jun 18, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks guys. Time for my monthly ritual: smack self in the back the head to relieve any GAS I might be having and just try to improve /what/ I'm playing. :)

Speaking of Mingus, you all should check out the new Mingus boxed set... there's a great hour long interview with his producer Nesuhi Ertegun.