1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For Sale D. Huff 3D Scroll Rainbow Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by miskhar, Mar 26, 2018.

1. miskhar

miskhar

Oct 28, 2011
    Price:
    $4000
    Strings:
    Long-post warning...

Hello all,

I have a fretted 4 string Darrin Huff Rainbow bass for sale. Before I get to all the specifics, I would like to take a minute to address everything surrounding Darrin. In the past, every time I’ve seen a thread mention him, it usually devolves into something other than intended. While I sympathize, I’d like to try to keep that out of this thread; as a former-waitlister those kinds of things always just made me very angry and it never really helped anything.

When I was in college, I was on these forums daily, and I saw examples of Darrin’s work and was floored by it. Another TB’er (whose name I won’t mention here) posted a thread where he wanted to trade his (fully payed) place on Darrin’s build list for “a lighter bass, due to medical reasons.” I was in college and traded my prized Cliff Bordwell 4-banger and $200 for it. The TB’er told me that it was about 6 more months before completion. I’m sure we all know what happened next…almost 4 more years went by, and while I did get updates every now and then, I never thought I’d actually get this bass. So, believe me, I know how the others out there feel.

And it’s a real shame. Darrin’s wood work is some of the best I’ve ever seen. A few years ago, I opted to sell my Wal 5-string here instead of this bass. But as I get older with no more gigs, and with my marriage a few weeks away…..house down-payments become more important than my favorite bass. Sorry for the essay! Here are the specs to the best of my ability (Darrin doesn’t seem to keep records, and I haven’t played in years; If you’ve got questions, don’t hesitate to ask):

Darrin Huff 4-String Rainbow Bass with 3D Carved Horn:

- Rainbow body style (extremely high gloss) with….so many types of wood. Looks like maple, walnut, wenge or ebony, purple heart, and the back of the neck has a much more highly figured maple. The 3D horn took such a long time for Darrin. I think he said he had to make 3 of them to get it right, and he got it perfect! Every stripe lines up perfectly, even the electronics cavity cover!

- 35” scale, 26 frets with bound fretboard and dovetail neck joint. Also has blue LED’s inlayed in the neck (visible on the side of the neck you see when playing) at all major marker locations. A 2-position switch turns them off (they’re run off a separate 9v from the preamp, for a total of two 9v’s if you want the lights)

- Somewhere around 8.5 lbs on the bathroom scale

- According to Darrin: “Pickups are most likely Nordstrand NJ4SE” (I honestly can’t remember, but I had thought they were Nordy’s). They come with very nice wood covers that have a nice accent-stripe that matches the fretboard binding.

- ACG EQ-02 Filter Based Pre with stacked custom wood knobs that are gorgeously carved

- Darrin’s custom milled bridge

- Gotoh (I think) tuners

- Comes with an SKB deluxe case

This is honestly one of the lightest basses I’ve played. Like I said, I got rid of a Wal so I could keep this one! It has never been gigged, or in a smoker’s home. It’s only been played in a home studio a few times. When I finally wound up getting this, my life had changed drastically and I wasn’t gigging anymore. I don’t currently have an amp, but with the ACG preamp, there are tons of tones. It really reminded me of the versatility of the Wal, but MUCH lighter. Darrin really didn’t want to do this preamp (I asked for it and shipped it to him many years after the production of the instrument and he had never done one like it) but eventually agreed…and I’m super happy that he relented!

The only blemish I could find was that inside the electronics cavity, some of the glue he had used on the edges of the preamp’s PCB started coming off, so I tacked it down with some gorilla tape over the original glue, which should hold, or the next owner can easily remove it and re-glue if they want. It doesn’t affect playability and is a very minor fix, but I wanted to disclose everything.

I'm looking for $4000 ( sold pending funds) shipped and insured. Paypal is my preferred payment unless you live somewhere close enough so we can meet in person. I live in Davis, CA, and if you’re near me and seriously interested want to see it or play it (providing you have an amp—as I currently don’t) let me know and we can work something out. Please feel free to PM me, or email me at: rawrinc at gmail. I’m open to reasonable offers, but I’m not really looking for trades….If I were gigging or playing in a band, or had been in the last 5 years, I’d definitely be keeping this bass.

Again, sorry about the essay. Here are the photos:

G73eLE2.jpg

z6W56ZG.jpg

kvwTr80.jpg

h5POU5k.jpg

V7iaRos.jpg

dTq2wYe.jpg

jBUy6UN.jpg

cqr0Key.jpg

r88VxAc.jpg

LfhUa2o.jpg

KFn9315.jpg

lwi8v5E.jpg

W0m9j1t.jpg

PrxzKnu.jpg

1F1bOz7.jpg

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  2. lesclaypoolsob

lesclaypoolsob Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2006
    Kentucky
    Such a beauty...I am kicking myself for letting my Huff go! GLWTS.

3. Session1969

Session1969 Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2010
    MY GOD.

4. miskhar

miskhar

Oct 28, 2011
    Sold pending funds

5. What a beauty! I've only ever read things in the infamous complaint thread about this guy and his basses and never actually saw one...that is amazing!!!!

MattZilla likes this.
  6. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    drool Wow. Absolutely stunning...

7. S.O.T.G. Rich

S.O.T.G. Rich Gold Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2014
    Corpus Christi Texas
    Did this sell

8. S.O.T.G. Rich

S.O.T.G. Rich Gold Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2014
    Corpus Christi Texas
    Yes?

9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

The user hasn't been on since late May of last year, after posting it was sold (pending funds). If I was a betting man, I'd wager it was sold.

10. Brutus74

Brutus74 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2013
    Ohio
    Super cool