Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

D.I. Box Confusion...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BassGod, Sep 6, 2004.

1. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Hey guys, I need a little help here:

I was at the Jim Dunlop website earlier today, looking at the 105Q Cry Baby, when I accidentaly clicked a link to the MXR M-80 Bass D.I.

I was wondering if someone could explain what a D.I. box is. I have an idea of what it might be, but I'm not sure. When I saw it on the website I figured it was just an EQ pedal with a distortion option. Is this right, or is it for something else? I'm sorry I couldn't be more clear in my question, I'm having trouble explaining this. (Haven't been at school for two months, I'm bound to get a little dumber :p )

Thanks guys :cool:

Peace,
    Graeme :bassist:

2. well, i will just give you a quick idea, since someone here can elaborate tenfold (and probably correct me) on what i am about to say.

a DI (direct injection) box is so you can plug your bass directly into the mixing board via the DI box. usually people go DI because it is hard for a bass to get all the way to the back of the room (or whatever you are playing) and still keep a good volume on stage, and it is easier than putting a mic to the cab.

the EQ and distortion part of it would probably just make it an all-in-one box.

3. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Thanks for the help you guys. So it seems I need a mixing board to use one of these bad boys eh? So, if I'm understanding everything right, I can't go:

Bass - M80 - Amp

Am I right? (If so, I'll just buy seperate distortion and EQ pedals) The reason I ask, BTW, is because on the picture of the box, there are 3 inputs: one that looks like it's for a microphone and two 1/4 inch cable inputs. Man, I'm such an effects n00b. ;)

Peace,

4. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Oh, okay, I understand now. So that means I can use it as a regular distortion pedal. Awesome. Thanks very much, I may have to ask for this for my upcoming birthday! :hyper:

Peace,

5. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Alright, thanks for the heads up. I listened to the Ibanez, it sounds great. Unfortunatly my local L&M doesn't deal with Ibanez. :( I'll try somewhere else though, so thanks for the suggestion. :cool:

Peace,

6. well jsut to answer ur question , i have one , i used it at the show we played at the school , dude a D.I CAN be put into the P.A or into a mixing board u dont need them it is a pedal as well so thats what it is and the dist is fine for some things i use it and i like it.