D.I. Box Confusion...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BassGod, Sep 6, 2004.

1. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Hey guys, I need a little help here:

I was at the Jim Dunlop website earlier today, looking at the 105Q Cry Baby, when I accidentaly clicked a link to the MXR M-80 Bass D.I.

I was wondering if someone could explain what a D.I. box is. I have an idea of what it might be, but I'm not sure. When I saw it on the website I figured it was just an EQ pedal with a distortion option. Is this right, or is it for something else? I'm sorry I couldn't be more clear in my question, I'm having trouble explaining this. (Haven't been at school for two months, I'm bound to get a little dumber :p )

Thanks guys :cool:

Peace,
    Graeme :bassist:

2. well, i will just give you a quick idea, since someone here can elaborate tenfold (and probably correct me) on what i am about to say.

a DI (direct injection) box is so you can plug your bass directly into the mixing board via the DI box. usually people go DI because it is hard for a bass to get all the way to the back of the room (or whatever you are playing) and still keep a good volume on stage, and it is easier than putting a mic to the cab.

the EQ and distortion part of it would probably just make it an all-in-one box.

3. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Thanks for the help you guys. So it seems I need a mixing board to use one of these bad boys eh? So, if I'm understanding everything right, I can't go:

Bass - M80 - Amp

Am I right? (If so, I'll just buy seperate distortion and EQ pedals) The reason I ask, BTW, is because on the picture of the box, there are 3 inputs: one that looks like it's for a microphone and two 1/4 inch cable inputs. Man, I'm such an effects n00b. ;)

Peace,

4. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Oh, okay, I understand now. So that means I can use it as a regular distortion pedal. Awesome. Thanks very much, I may have to ask for this for my upcoming birthday! :hyper:

Peace,

5. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Alright, thanks for the heads up. I listened to the Ibanez, it sounds great. Unfortunatly my local L&M doesn't deal with Ibanez. :( I'll try somewhere else though, so thanks for the suggestion. :cool:

Peace,

6. well jsut to answer ur question , i have one , i used it at the show we played at the school , dude a D.I CAN be put into the P.A or into a mixing board u dont need them it is a pedal as well so thats what it is and the dist is fine for some things i use it and i like it.