D.I. for Walter Woods

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aarongermain, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Aarongermain

Apr 27, 2005
    Does anyone else have a problem with the D.I. on the Walter Woods? Sound guys tell me they get a weak dirty signal. Don't get me wrong, I think it is a fantastic amp, I just can't figure out what to do if the sound man happens to not have a d.I. box. Anyone figure out a way around this problem?
  2. You NEED to use a DI. The DI OUT on the Woods is just the signal. In most cases (not all) it's not enough signal with out a DI. I've heard that it can be done but it' depends on the signal strength and it seems you don't have it....neither do I and I have nice preamps on my basses. Walter Woods recommeds a Passive DI preferreably with a good transformer. You can use an expesive or a inexpensive. I use a Radial JDI, not cheap and a bit overkill if you're not recording...I'm not currently....but it's a "Cadillac" unit equipped with the famed Jensen Transformer. You can get a good one for $40 or $50. The Radial was more.

Plus, if I read your post right... you not sending a balanced signal to the board if you're using a 1/4" connector going into the mixer unless it a balanced (tip-ring-sleeve TRS) type. But then I'm not sure if the WWU has that ability to send a balanced signal anyway.
  3. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yep, a separate DI box is mandatory with the WW. Call Walter and that's what he'll tell you. I would never rely on a soundman, I'd always carry one.
  4. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    The DI on my WWU has always been spotty. I tend to use a separate pre with my Ultra anyway so it's not a major deal for me. Lately I've been plugging directly into a Millennia TD-1 and running the unbalanced out into the WWU's power section. I then run the balanced out of the TD-1 directly to the board.

One cool variation when using two instruments at a gig is that you can plug a bass into each channel of the WWU and then run the direct out of the WWU into the front end of the outboard pre. Then run the outboard pre into the WWU's power section. If you run the direct out in "Pre" mode, you are essentially sending a direct signal to the outboard pre with the benfit of having the Woods as a quasi A/B box (although there is no mute on the channels, so you need to keep your instrument volume off when not in use).

It let's me feel like I'm actually using the Woods that way!
  5. A number of us have been begging Walter for a number of years to get rid of the second effects loop on the second channel and use the space for a true low imp. DI (since his stated reason for removing the DI from his new amps was a lack of room). So far, he's not planning on doing it, but said he would take it into account if he ever does a preamp redesign again. That would make the amp perfect in my opinion!
  6. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Clever! Tho' that's a pretty expensive A/B box... :D Maybe use a Lehle or Loooper in front instead? Then you'd also get your mute...