1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

D.I. output

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PURLABOY, Feb 28, 2008.

1. PURLABOY

PURLABOY

Aug 18, 2007
    Leeds, England
    Hi everyone, I have a marshall combo and at the back is a switch to select 0db D.I. or 20db D.I. does anyone know whether this means I dont need a separate D.I. box and if so which of the 2 settings I should use for recording. Thanks muchly. Steve.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It means you don't need a separate DI box if that one doesn't suck. Some DI's built into an amp are great, some not so much. Also for gigging many people carry a separate DI box as insurance in case their amp craps out.

Of the two settings it will depend on what type of recording device you're feeding. The dB levels indicate how "loud" the signal is. What the amp calls 0dB is probably what most DI's would call "-20dBu" or "mic level", for a microphone input; and 20dB is probably what is usually labeled "+4dBu" or "line level", for a line input with no preamp.

3. PURLABOY

PURLABOY

Aug 18, 2007
    Leeds, England
    Thanks, that helps me convince my guitarist i'm not gonna blow his new recording desk up.