1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

D: I think my Psilocybe is broken...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Doolz, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Doolz

Doolz

Oct 5, 2007
    hmm, plugged it in yesterday and im gettin this weird noise (that im not meant to be getting lol)

i have both switches to the right and the regen fairly high and the speed in the middle, and that was working great until now. now i get this weird buzzing noise that fades in with the phase, so every time the phase shifts around i get this annoying buzz thats very noticeable.

i was using a battery when i noticed it, took the battery out and used a power supply and got the same ****, and i know that powersupply works (coz its running my micropog.)

anyone have any idea of
    a) Whats wrong?
    and b) how do i fix it?

2. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Have you tried different wires/cables?

Have you run the effect on its own --- bass to effect to head?

3. Doolz

Doolz

Oct 5, 2007
    yes and yes. im thinking its something inside the pedal, because all my other crap works with all my other pedals. :(

4. Was the pedal working ok at some point, or have you just got it ?

5. rratajski

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    It might just be tripping...let it come down, don't freak it out, don't let it read the phone book or talk on its cell phone...

Have you contacted the maker of the effect? Most boutique places will diagnose and/or fix the problem....

6. Doolz

Doolz

Oct 5, 2007
    yeah ive had it for about a month now and its been fine till then, bought it here in fact.
    i will have to get in touch with HBE soon.

:(

7. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    What was resolution to your problem?

I just got a Psilocybe today, and the first PS I tried using was causing it to buzz and hum horribly. I figured it probably wasb't a regulated PS, so I tried plugging it into a 1-spot (I assume it's regulated???), along with a few other pedals, and it started making a "pop" sound every so often...I opened it up and did a pretty good inspection, and didn't find any loose wires or anything on the power jack...

Are these guys super sensitive to power, or does anyone know?

I will play with it some more tomorrow.....

8. rratajski

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Try its own power supply. A one spot is not regulated, IIRC.

9. Doolz

Doolz

Oct 5, 2007
    my problem was due to an unregulated supply, ya.

10. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    OK, I hooked it up to my Voodoo Lab PP2+ and it works fine...I was hoping to just use the 1-spot, as I am trying to shrink my pedallboard footprint, and really didn't want to eat the real estate with the Voodoo PP2+, but it's on the board now!

I'm surprised the 1-spot isn't regulated...I looked on their website and couldn't find anything that mentions it being regulated though...

11. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    If you trouble shoot everything else and nothing works, contact Joel @ Homebrew Electronics. He is super nice and will give you the info on shipping it to him for repair (if it needs it)

12. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Woops, you fixed it. Stupid me.