Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

D.I.Y rack systems...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by merlin, Dec 31, 2001.

1. I'm not sure where this should go so i'll try it here.

Has anyone built their own rack unit enclosures? eg the housing you keep your rack cases in? I have a power amp and a preamp in separate 2U rack cases and want to sink them into a single unit, that also has room to increase eg incorporating other racks. I saw on a website a quite effective design but i do not know if it would take the full rack case. (they just mounted the front panels, odd and kinda messy on the inside.

http://www.midwest-analog.com/diy-sys.html#build2

Just curious. I don't have enough money to buy a roadcase/rack unit. Yet i have enough wood and materials in my shed to build something.

:D:D

Merls

2. Ok, i guess no-one has. Well i did, i just made it up as i went along and it looks really good. I will post photos up when i get some film.

Merls

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Building racks is very easy. I have done it a couple of different times for PA stuff. Both times I did it, it was for stuff that was semi-permantly placed somewhere. I prefer the pre-fab SKB type cases for guitar/bass rigs because of the weight. They are already too heavy, so adding 10-15 pounds of wood is a killer.

But if you don't mind the weight, a nice, solid square box is pretty easy to build. Just use butt joints, plenty of glue, deck screws and sure up the corners using 1"x1" ripped on the diagonal.

Chas

4. yup! and i've even made end covers to fit as well, all i need to find is some latches (like guitar case ones) and well i have some felt i'll cover the box in, but its green so i was gonna have a stab at dying it. If not i'll ring some carpet places to see if they have any off cuts of fine black carpet.

;):D

Merls