Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

D**K measuring contest

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PhatBoi5, Mar 13, 2001.

1. No its not what you think. I have played a few gigs with my new power amp and everytime I throw my rig up they gimme the "WoW, that's not necessary" They think since I have ridiculous headroom I will actually use it. So anyway my point of posting to see if anybody else has a big rig like I do, and do you get soundguys crying. Heres what I have
    Aguilar DB359 as a pre-amp for a Carver PM1400 (700 watts per side @ 4 ohms-1400 watts bridged @ 8 ohms). I have two cab SWR 2x12(700w @4ohms) and a Hartke 2x15(600w @ 4 ohms.) Oh yes--It is loud. But I have the speakers first so I supersize instead of downsized.

2. I've got a Mackie 1400i pushing an Ampeg 8x10, plus an Ampeg 350 watt amp pushing an Ampeg 15-10 cab and soon, a customized 2x15 cab.

It's very loud, but then, so is the rest of my band. :)

For example, my drummer uses triggered drums and monitors himself through his own small PA. 2 1x15 cabs and 2 1x12 cabs with horns and a 1600 watt amp. My guitarist pumps 1000 watts into four 4x12 cabs and is planning to add two more 4x12s. We'd like to duplicate the bass rig so we have an 8x10 and the 15-10 cabs on both sides of the drums with four guitar cabs on each side. That's the ultimate goal.

If they tell me my rig is "unnecessary", I'll tell them their PA is unncecessary! We won't need it!! :) :) :)

HAAAAAHAAAAA HA HA HA HA HAAAA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!

Brian

P.S. Yes. I think we are insane.

3. I guess you dont have any vocals. Cause there ain't no way all the speakers you have there wouldn't bleed thru the vocal mic.

4. That will be our engineer's problem.

We'll have a healthy vocal monitoring system, if we don't just all go to Shure PMS systems.

See, the idea is to move air. We want to be devestating. We want the audience to **** a brick. You know, make an imapct. We'll be working with our own engineer who will sort it out for us. It won't be an easy job. But I've seen bands with more speakers and gear than that.

Brian

5. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    But can you still hear anything?

Make sure you have good health insurance. :)

6. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    In regards to the thread, I just have a 600w rig, 1x15 and 2x8. Guitarist has a 200w rig with 1 4x12. Drumer is acoustic...

I don't think the sound guys fear us too much.

7. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Hmm..... guess my peepee is smaller than all yours, eh?

I like playing loud. The two bands I'm in and gig with are loud bands. But I have never found a situation where my puny little SM-400 couldn't provide the volume necessary to pain the crowd, or myself for that matter. It's all in the cabs. I ususally go thorugh an Ampeg 410 and add on a 210 or another 410 as the gig calls for it.

I don't know, the appropriate volume really depends on the situation. A crappy band is annoying when it's quiet but totally unbearable when they are loud. With a good band you don't care that you've just lost the top 3rd octave of your hearing range. Crap, I'd prefer that people stayed and caught the show than clear the room and have people say, "Damn, those guys were too damn loud, what the hell were they called?". Not an impression that I'd care to make.

BTW, Brian, you're not insane, you're deaf. ;-)

8. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    My amp is 400 watts per side @ 4 ohms, or 800 watts bridged mono @ 8 ohms. I have an 8 ohm 4X10 so I can either use it bridged for the full 800 or run it off on side and get around 200 watts. I'm not playing in a band right now so I don't have any soundguy problems, but my amp has a level control on the direct out so when I do get into a band that plays clubs and the soundguy uses that I can have all the stage volume I want, and still send him a signal that isn't blazingly hot.

9. I simply have problems with dufus soundguys only providing - and expecting you to use - a DI box. Screw that, if my rig was simply gonna be used as a monitor i'd have bought a cheap-ass Peavey.

But my rig is puny by comparison. 34yo 50w valve head on top of an Ampeg 4x10 - surprisingly it's at least as loud (if not louder) than my Ampeg B2R (350w/4ohms) - but it's getting to be only good now for practise. I'm competing against 3 geetars @ ~100w each, and acoustic drums. Pity our singer fellow needs so much damn foldback for his vocals and acoustic gat!

Eventually my rig'll be adding another 4x10 and powering it all thru a V4 or something loud & valve.

10. I guess I have the biggest d**k! WoooHooo!!!

Brian

11. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Congratulations you stud you...

12. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Wrong Brian!! I have a Crown Powerbase2 pushin 2 Eden 410's and a PowerBase3 pushing 2 118's, in addition to all the other stuff in the rack. I call for a remeasure!!!!

Mike

13. All right you bastard!!

Assuming you're running those two amps in parallel mono mode, the Powerbase2 is putting 655 watts into 4 ohms and the Powerbase3 is putting 1080 watts into 4 ohms, for a total of 1735 watts. My Mackie puts 1400 watts into 4 ohms and my Ampeg puts 350 watts into 4 ohms for a total of 1750 watts! So I'm up on you by a big 15 watts! You've got 8 10s (628 sq inches) and 2 18s (508.68 sq inches), for a total of 1136.68 sq inches of speaker area. I've got 8 10s (628 sq inches) plus a 15-10 with tweeter (255.125 sq inches not counting the tweeter) plus a 2x15 (353.25 sq inches) for a total of 1236.375 sq inches of speaker area! So I'm up on you by almost 100 square inches of speaker cone area!

Eat my dust motherf*cker!!! _I've_ got the big daddy rig!!!

:)

Brian

14. ubersam

ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    L.A.
    this one venue i've been playing every tuesday has a p.a. system pumpin' upwards of 8k watts [i've only seen the low-freq amps]. there's 8 15's on each side of the stage [can't tell how many 10, 12 or horns] plus stage monitors. since they have all that, i just DI my 50 watt Ampeg B-112 through the p.a. and shake the ground with it. i guess my peepee is pretty microscopic but the impression i give is humongular :D

15. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I go through a hartke 3500 head and a swr goliath 4-10 and a old ampeg 18! I have a big rig for quality not haow load it gets! I love to mic both speaker cabs! We play alot of funk and i need that low thump that i get out of the 18 and i also need the great mids for slap out of my 4-10s!

16. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Lets take the maths a little further then, I have 1.52watts per sq.inch, you have 1.42. My 18' are 4 ohms each, the amp is in stereo@ 720w per side with a total 1440. That brings the grand total to 2095watts. Get it right, your candy is in Raleigh junior.

PS I dont know your mother and am certainly not a bastard, so save the name calling for your playground friends. Even if you are kidding i really dont appreciate it.

17. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Well I have a pocket rocket headphone amp. That must be at least a watt into 2 .5" speakers.

...and don't even make me press in the bass boost. Let that be a lesson to all of you.

18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i've never heard that one before - what does that mean?

19. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    It means i got sucked into an infantile argument over nothing. Really its a saying meaning that my stuff is better than your stuff.

Mike

20. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey, that's cool. if you're gonna argue about gear, it outta be infantile, right? :D ;)