D. Lakin Basses - Customer Service Experience

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Melvin7822, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Melvin7822

Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    I'm writing this thread because I'm not sure what I can do at this point. Basically, I had purchased a new D. Lakin Joe Osborn Custom from Bass Central and discovered it had some frets lifting off the fingerboard about 4 weeks ago. Initially, Dan was responsive and offered to have the bass shipped back to him and he would drop it off with someone who used to do fretwork for Lakland.

I had shipped out the bass using the return label he had generated and came to find out that he exactly used the address of his old factory. UPS apparently refused to deliver it to him and so he arranged to pick it up.

Fast forward to today, it's been several weeks and I've heard nothing. Calls go straight to voicemail, voice messages aren't being returned. E-mails are going unanswered. UPS still shows the bass as being held for pickup. I don't know if he actually has/had the bass nor what's going on.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  2. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Weeks with no response? Obviously that's a really bad sign. That would indicate to me that he may be going down soon. Like maybe a bankruptcy.

If I were in your situ, I'd want to cut my losses and just get the bass back ASAP. And then I'd have it fixed locally at my own cost, and move on.

I'd be on the phone with UPS to confirm that they actually still have the bass, then initiate whatever process UPS has to have it returned it to me, even if I had to pay shipping costs. Whatever. I'd just want the bass back right now. If Lakin takes possession of your bass, then files for bankruptcy, you may have a hard time ever getting the bass or remuneration. Not to mention a yuge headache. If he stays in business, you may be able to negotiate with him for reimbursement of your out of pocket repair expense.

Get the bass back. Good luck.

3. Melvin7822

Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    Yeah, I'm afraid I'll never see my bass again. UPS won't give me any more information because I am not the shipper (a return tag was issued by Dan), nor am I the receiver.

In order to work things out with Dan, I need a response. I don't even think my insurance (MusicPro) will cover it as a loss or misplaced.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  4. Wow. This is a terrible situation. Maybe someone here has ties to Lakin and can help. Good luck in getting your bass back.

5. Very sorry to hear about this. Man, if this happened to one of my basses, I'd be a real basket case.

I wish you good luck.

John

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Geographically where is his shop?

7. Melvin7822

Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    Chicago.

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    To be sure there's a dozen or more Chicoganz here. Maybe somebody can knock on the door?

9. I wouldn't mess with it anymore if it were me. If it is being held at a pickup station call UPS and see if you can get a return generated on it and get the bass back. Return it to Bass Central or have Bass Central work with Dan to get it resolved. They are the dealer and it is their job to deal with the company on warranty issues.

UPS: Request Delivery Intercept

10. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    He has already clarified that this is not possibe. You have to be either the sender or the receiver to trigger this sort of thing, and since Dan sent him the return waybill, the OP became an outsider to the shipping process after UPS took possession of the box.

Generally good advice in here, but let's not assume too much about Lakin Basses going bankrupt just yet. As I understand it, he has had some health issues (which also forced him to miss NAMM after paying for his booth), and this could be something similar and he's just temporarily unavailable.

His last FB post was Sept 4, though I am not "friends" with Dan and only see what was public. There has to be a TBer or two who can check if there have been other posts, indicating whether he's "active" or not. I just don't want to assume the worst and cause other customers to panic over rumors that ould start out from this sort of supposition.

As two fingers mentioned above, perhaps someone local can check in?

11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    In my experience, most dealers will tell you to contact the manufacturer if it has a factory warranty.

12. I was not thinking about that when I mentioned it. That does change things for sure.

I would not want to deal with a dealer that washed their hands of the brands they choose to sell. They are a representative of that brand and should be the first in line when there is a problem. Lots of companies won't even deal directly with the customer. Understanding that Lakin is a small company that largely sells direct I see why it makes sense to go straight to him but if I was Bass Central I would want to be aware of how this situation was going. Maybe they wouldn't care, I am not familiar with the store.

13. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Regarding Bass Central's involvement with warranty. First, many manufacturers do insist that the warranty start with the end user going directly to the manufacturer. Others require that a dealer be involved. However it seems from the original post that the OP went to Dan directly rather than through Bass Central. Second, Carl Pedigo, who used to do the set up and maintenance work on basses at Lakland has a shop at the Lakland address- it's possible that Dan set the UPS tag to send the bass directly to Carl (that's an assumption on my part, the OP doesn't say identify anyone other than "...someone who used to do fretwork for Lakland".

None if this is to diminish the OP's problem and the lack of response from Dan is certainly disturbing, especially because UPS won't recognize anyone other than Dan or his company's representative as part of the transaction.

14. Melvin7822

Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    I wanted to thank everyone for their replies thus far. My intention is definitely not to drag Dan through the mud on this. I know he's a good guy and perhaps he's working himself a little too hard nowadays. I'm definitely disturbed by the lack of response. I'd be fine if I had a response and was told that the bass was not ready yet.

The shipping address that Dan accidently specified on the return tag was as follows:
    2044 N Dominick
    Chicago IL 60614

I definitely wasn't given a name of who Dan intended to drop my bass off with. Just that once he received the bass, he would drop it off with whomever it was doing the work for him. I last spoke to Dan over the phone on 8/29 and the last thing he told me was that he was getting ready to head on his way to the southside of Chicago to pick up the bass from UPS and then immediately drop it off with whomever is doing the work afterwards. Apparently, UPS refused to let him correct the address.

So the assumption is that Dan did pick it up and drop it off like he said. Overall the bass has been gone since 8/22 and I've heard nothing since 8/29. This week I've been calling him twice a day.

15. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Just spitballing here but no chance to try to contact anyone at Lakland Co. to see if you can get them involved? Maybe the person that was gona do the work can reach out to Dan and get permission to pick up the bass at UPS? Or at least find out what all the delay is about. Then again, they may not want to get involved if it muddy's the waters even more. But just maybe they are aware of Dan's where abouts and can help move the locating and repair of the bass along. Real sorry you're having to hassle with all this. Good luck.

16. HiEnd Basses

HiEnd Basses

Mar 4, 2016
    I'm sure Mike or Grasshopper would be glad to give Dan a call. They communicate with him directly. I'll be in the store next week, and I'll mention it if you would like.

17. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    Just wanted to wish you luck and I'm sure once it actually gets out of UPS then things will progress smoothly.

I had to ship my Lakin JO back to Dan and I recall that it pretty much went to the same building as Lakland, he just has his own area...???

I didn't have any problems reaching Dan on the phone or by email so there may well be other factors (like health) involved.

Hopefully this will get sorted out soon!

18. sratas

sratas

Dec 15, 2007
    Parma, Italy
    Yeah Dude, wish you can get your bass back asap.
    In the last months I sent multiple mails to Dan asking for custom colours because I was set on the purchase of a Glaub.
    I was surprised to not receive any kind of answer.
    Obviously, i should have called him, but My spoken english sucks and I prefer to write. And...judging the widespread action of Dan on the internet like youtube vids, Friedland reviews I assumed he should have been ok with contemporary ways of communicate.
    If he is in financial trouble I hope he goes out of the mud quick.

19. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Hope it gets sorted soon!

From the outside I would say Dan Lakin is a fine maker of basses but not very savvy when it comes to marketing, especially using modern channels

20. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    I hope Dan is OK and this gets worked out soon. At some point, could you take legal action to wrestle possession of the bass from UPS, since you are the legitimate owner of it?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021