1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

D Lakin JO

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Father Gino, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Father Gino

Father Gino Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2018
    Farthard, Connecticut
    I’d read what’s left of the D Lakin posts over the last year or so because I was researching those basses. Tonight I felt compelled to testify. I bought JO #1 on eBay a few months ago for $650. I guess it was unloved because it was green. What a great instrument! I not going to tell you that it’s better or worse than a Fender or a Lakland or whatever. I’m just saying I really like it.

I played fretless basses pretty much exclusively for decades. About 5 years ago I bought a fretted Lakland 44-02. It is also a great instrument. Took me quite some time to get used to them pesky frets but my intonation live is now greatly improved playing live. This is especially true in a room with crappy acoustics and when singing.

The 44-02 felt relatively comfortable in my transition phase I think because Lakland (and Lakin) use thin fret wire. I had never previously paid any attention to fret wire size until I read somewhere about Leland Sklar installing mandolin frets on all of his basses. I think Lakland’s are banjo frets. I was pretty happy for several years with this bass while my poor fretless Sabre lies unloved in its case.

After several years I began to yearn for a different sound than I was getting out of the Lakland. Not that it was bad at all but it always has some upper frequencies that just wouldn’t go away even with flats. And it was hard to make growl. And it’s Hard to make it round, fat and mellow. Mind you, no one but me would probably notice any of this (with the exception perhaps of another bass player) in the various dank & dingy clubs that I usually inhabit.

So I bought a Ric 4003 on a whim and put flats on it. I dig the sound but it’s kind of an ergonomic nightmare. Same thing I thought when a briefly owned a 4001 in the Pre-Cambrian. Didn’t know they still made flatwounds back then and the spent 20 years wondering what that combo would sound like. Those things do look really cool though, don’t they? Pretty hard to make me look cool these days though. It’s gotta go soon.

Then I read such smashing reviews of D Lakin and dreamt of one of his J basses. A rather unremarkable 74 J was the first real bass I ever owned. Saw my future JO on eBay with an opening bid on 650 and here I am.

This thing can growl, be mellow, or spit and it always seems to sit in and come through the mix. Got rounds on it and now that they’ve grunged up a bit, I’m even more pleased with the tone. Someday I’ll try flats on it but I’m happy for the present. Like I said, it’s a swell instrument!

That’s my story and I’m sticking with it.

MattZilla, MCF, GregC and 8 others like this.
  2. This means nothing without pictures. drool

Welcome to TalkBass, glad you love it. :thumbsup:

Reedt2000, RobertUI and Rumbledore like this.
  3. Father Gino

Nov 3, 2018
    Farthard, Connecticut
    8B264C09-29CD-433D-9144-138BF581ADB6.

Attached Files:

4. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    NIce!!

5. Father Gino

Nov 3, 2018
    Farthard, Connecticut
    Not the greatest picture, but the best I could do at present. A bit shy of 9 lbs. I probably wouldn’t have bought this color had I seen it in a store, but i’ve never seen one of these in any store around here. Now I kinda like it. It’s all kinda sparkly under a light. I’m still in my honeymoon phase with this thing, but it might just stick.

S-Bigbottom and RobertUI like this.
  6. Father Gino

Nov 3, 2018
    Farthard, Connecticut
    BTW, kudos to hipshot. The bridge was missing one of its set screws so I emailed them and they sent a little baggie full of them for free.

MCF, GregC, basspraiser and 3 others like this.
  7. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    Hysterical, mine arrived missing one as well.

BTW, I believe yours is a proto? My JO (in Fiesta Red) is serial JO001.

JO04.

PWRL likes this.
  8. Bagelish

Bagelish Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2016
    I just picked up my first Lakin this weekend. I've played plenty of Laklands (Skyline & US), but to me, this bass is just all around much more comfortable and sounds much better. Without question its the best passive tone I've ever had in 38 years of playing. Laklands are great, but if I had a choice between the two, the Lakins would easily win out.
    It's the first weekend my Valenti's have had a break in two years, and those are nearly impossible to put down.
    Anyone know how to reach Dan?

20181102_143806.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  9. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Really enjoyed reading this thread, I scored this last night in the classifieds here, I'm pretty stoked about it, always been a P bass guy and the 2 jazz basses I ever had i couldn't warm up to them, this one has Fralins I'm hoping I made a good choice!! Screenshot_2018-11-04-02-07-02.

GregC, JIO, petch and 2 others like this.
  10. I think that green color is great. Nice looking bass.

11. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    That’s a beauty! Congrats!

12. Bagelish

Jun 4, 2016
    Looks like 3 of us here had good weekends.

Kukulkan61 and RobertUI like this.
  13. Tom0Blam0

Tom0Blam0

Mar 16, 2014
    650 is a killer price. I love dark green basses, too. Congrats

14. ScarfFace

ScarfFace Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2014
    La Crosse WI
    I love that headstock shape!

Lobster11 and Kukulkan61 like this.
  15. Father Gino

Nov 3, 2018
    Farthard, Connecticut
    BTW, I believe yours is a proto? My JO (in Fiesta Red) is serial JO001.

Interesting, mine is JOC 001. What does that even mean?

I thought for some time that I wanted to get a Skyline J bass but when Lakin came on the scene, the reviews were so overwhelmingly positive that seemed the way to go. I can’t attest as to whether or not either one is better or worse or even any different. I can never check these out in any store near me. I did visit Bass Central once and bought my 44-02 there but Lakin didn’t exist yet. It’s probably a good thing I can’t regularly visit such a place. I’ve got too many basses as it is. What’s with Bass Central anyway? Their on-line inventory seems to be diminishing. Are they on their way out?

Back to Lakin... I was surprised at some of the animosity towards these basses on the big Lakin thread here. I guess the ambassador program was not taken well by some but the allegations that these basses were overpriced seemed odd to me. They seemed squarely targeted at Skylines with a few better or at least different features at about the same price.

Now the used prices of Lakins seems to be below Skylines. A buyer’s market for anyone interested in them. Sadly, these things my end up as a forgotten footnote in the bass kingdom. I’ve never owned a p-bass and now I think i’d Like to check out a Lakin 1.5” version. Some of my other basses have to go first though.

waynobass likes this.
  16. Bagelish

Jun 4, 2016
    I had ordered a near mint Skyline from GC, had it shipped, then the seller contacted me to let me know he's gonna be selling his red Lakin. I went to GC when my order arrived and told them don't even bother opening it, just had a feeling the Lakin would be great.
    All the nonsense you can read here on TB aside, Dan makes / designs a phenomenal bass and I'd be happy to get another.
    I thought my Hamer 2Teks were the best production basses I ever played, until this past Friday.

MTN.bass72 likes this.
  17. MTN.bass72

MTN.bass72 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Blue Ridge, Ga
    @Father Gino .. that's a beautiful find! I love the color, can't remember the actual name, but still gorgeous.
    I've tossed around selling mine, but something always stops me.
    20181104_083254.
    @Modu, are you saying that the lower #'s are protos?? I'm JO005..
    20181104_083323.
    And my Duck Dunn that I will die with, for good measure..
    20181104_083957.

GregC and basspraiser like this.
  18. MTN.bass72

MTN.bass72 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Blue Ridge, Ga
    I believe the "C" notates Custom... giving the Block inlays versus dots..

I love my Duck, pictured above, but would love a Lakin P

19. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

I have the 5 string Lakin Jazz which I have for sale... Nice bass, but it's just not getting any playing time.. They're nice basses … I was actually at Dan's place one time when they had just came in and thought those 4's played and sounded great... I mostly play 5 strings, but with arthritis rearing it's ugly head I may eventually return to 4's..

20. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Too weird: I bought a D Lakin Bob Glaub prototype a couple of months ago and.... same thing! And Hipshot took care of me too.

I realize you guys are all talking about JO's, but I've gotta say this Glaub is all kinds of awesome.