d string buzz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by freebeer, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Hi all. having an annoying fret buzzing issue. actually have this issue on two of my basses (tobias killer B and G&L L2000). I like the action kinda low, though not super low in my book. anyway, the relief on the neck is about 0.020" and the low e is at about 3/32" at the 24th fret (on the tobias). the D string is maybe a touch lower than that. i have tried raising the action up some and the buzz still seems to be there around the 5th fret on the d string. this problem seems to exist on both axes, not sure why. what should i be checking or doing? Am I doing something wrong? i was thinking about a little more relief in the neck but i am not sure. any ideas?
  2. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Weird, that's exactly what I get with my Carvins, and I set them up almost identically, maybe with a little higher bridge. Even the fretless I used to own had a little bit of a low spot around the 5th "fret" position.

I guess it has to do with the shape of the neck - it's bending more between the nut and 5th fret, but relatively straight from there on up.
  3. Maybe you need to have your frets levelled. Did this problem just begin or have you had it for a while? Did you just change string brands or guage? Is the buzz audible through your amp (if it isn't, I don't see a problem)? Problems like this can be a pain!