1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

D string, help

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by dogofgod, Jan 6, 2012.

1. dogofgod

dogofgod

Dec 24, 2009
    quick question: tonally, how can I make my D String sound more like the tone I get from playing the D on the fourth, or E string? I love the warmth, but like the option of the open d.

2. Basshoofd

Basshoofd

Jan 14, 2009
    Netherlands
    The D-string is thinner so it will always have a different timbre...

3. If you use heavier strings, the tone of your D string will change, somewhat more tlike the 10th fret on the E.

Of course a lot of other things change too with heavier strings.

Basically, if you want the sound of the 10th fret, you have to play it there.

4. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Pluck the open D closer to the fingerboard. It'll help a little.

5. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Check the gauges of your strings. Some brands do not have an even reduction of thickness from the E string.*
    For example I use .120-.100-.80-.60 so I have an equal reduction of thickness between each string. I do this because a bass is tuned to fourths so there is no real reason for the thickness to alter.
    Some brands do not do this, they change the increments between gauges.
    As mentioned the thickness will show subtle differences in timbre of a note fretted and an open note of the same pitch, because as seen in my example an A on the E string is .120,but an open A is .100.
    Also if you can adjust pick-up poles have a look there to help even up the tone, or if you have a split P pick -up make sure they set correct to the strings in terms of height.