1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

D string issues

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dirtrider, Jul 16, 2003.

1. I'm having an issue with my D string where it sounds dead, and creates a chord sound when hammering on a fret. What I mean is, I'll hammer a note and the buzz will create two distinct sounds, like a chord. One, the note I'm hammering, and another note that's caused by the buzz. The dead sound accompanies any fretted note or when played open.

I just replaced the strings and the dead sound is still there. Also, I hear what sounds like rattling coming from the bridge saddle. I checked it to see if it was loose or messed up or anything, but it looks fine. What's going on? Any ideas? It's a MIM Jazz, if that helps.

2. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Make sure that the nut slot is not cut to big, I had trouble with that on my MIM P.

3. Hmm How is the action of the strings? Could it be too low?

:D:D

Merls

4. I think maybe it is the nut slot. I don't think it's an issue of the action since it only happens with the D string. I've compensated by adjusting the height on that one saddle and I still get the same results. Bummer. :(

5. Take the D string off, get some paper and fold it up into a tiny square and place it in the nut slot. Then restring. This will boost the height of the nut where the D goes in. Tune up and see if it makes a difference.

:D:D

Merls