1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

D string on p-bass super quiet...read more

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MovingPitchers, Sep 29, 2013.

1. I like my pickups really close to my strings so they can receive more vibrations and make it louder without having to crank up the volume on my amp. My jazz bass is set up like that with the E and A pickups slightly lower than the D and G for obvious reasons and all four strings give out a nice strong and loud signal.

Howveer, for my p-bass, that's not the case. I lowered the E and A pickup so the strings don't clack against the plastic cover and the D and G pickup nearly touching the pickup. Despite this, the D string gives out the weakest signal, then the G, then the A, then the E. What is going on? Do P-basses normally have this issue?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    There's a point of diminishing returns when you get magnetic pickups too close to magnetic strings. I believe you crossed that line and you're causing the higher strings to choke out due to too much magnetic pull. Back off the height a little.

3. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Could be the string itself, or a bridge saddle, or a neck resonance interfering. How does it sound unamplified - does it still exhibit this behavior?

4. O you mean back off the E and A strings back or the D and G

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    D and G.

6. I tried that. Plying by myself it sounds loud and boomy. But when I practiced with the band it was still quiet to the point my band leader asked me why I seem to be missing notes on a certain part because I usually play it on the a and d strings. It's as closest it can get it hour the point of diminishing return. Any higher it'll be too much resistance for my poor weak fingers.

7. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Turn up your treble a bit. If the tone knob isn't turned up very much, the D and G strings tend to get a bit lost in the mix.

8. I tried everything. Even though I like my p bass to be less trebly and packing that classic punch, its pointless if I can't do my riffs and stuff if you can't hear it. I don't have the $$$$ to get it repaired by an expert. It's not even my primary bass anyways. Just wanted a p bass that would give that punch my jazz can't

9. I'd say your screen name is the issue...you've likely offended your P-bass:p

10. Moat likely hahahaha. I can't sell it until I pay off the cost; friend and I agreed to do monthly payment. Got $500 left. Frick