1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

D String sounds frettless

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ty_Boogie, May 12, 2006.

1. Ty_Boogie

Ty_Boogie Bass, A way of life

Sep 6, 2004
    Troy, NY
    really, very strange, my D string has "Mwah" even open.

It dosen't look like the string carved a groove across all the frets and the other 4 strings do not have that problem.

The neck is almost perfectly straight, I like very little relief and a low action

I've made no adjustments to any part of my bass in over a year. I have soaked the strings in denatured alcohol, roto's round wound swingbass, Yamaha BB405 24 frets

maybe I can make a recording of it MP3, I just don't know where to host it

2. You may have a high fret.

3. Ty_Boogie

Sep 6, 2004
    Troy, NY

Please explain, High Fret

also this just started about 2 weeks ago, had this bass 27 months

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Since it has this effect even open, i doubt it is a high fret.

The string may be twisted. Try taking it off and putting it back on.

5. Ty_Boogie

Sep 6, 2004
    Troy, NY
    I'll try that in the morning, and post back

has this happened to anyone else?

6. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I had a set oof strings that had a D that sounded fretless around the 12th fret. But it didn't bother me.

7. Ty_Boogie

Sep 6, 2004
    Troy, NY
    well here it is.............

I loosened the D string, and could hear it unwinding (in my mind I'm like yes!! )

I took the string off from under the string tree and pulled it out from the ball end, about 3 inches so it could further unwind it self
    (So far so good)

As I restung it, (Big Twang) it broke, about 3 inches from the top end,were the silk is, and was too short to reach the tunning peghole by maybe an eigth of an inch!!

lucky/smart me I've been rotating two sets, from the denatured alcohol soaking......:)

So you were right, Figjam

The string that broke, seems to have broken from the twisting not the soaking