1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

D-string volume too low! What's up???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by junglebike, Jul 20, 2003.

1. junglebike

junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Okay, so I've got a weird problem with my Tune Bass Maniac 4-string...

I just re-strung it with TI flats, and it sounds better than ever before. It's a P/J bass, with an active preamp.

On the bridge pup (jazz), the D-string is *markedly* lower in volume than all the other strings. I don't have adjustable pole pieces, but even if I did, the difference is so large I don't think that would be the proper solution.

Oddly, the same problem is not present on the neck P pickup.

I'm baffled. Any ideas, bass geniuses???

2. TWISTED

TWISTED Guest

Sep 8, 2002
    Perth, Australia
    Turn the volume down on the J pup. Just play it as a P bass, this will sort out the problem short term. As I've said on here before I'm not a big fan of P/J basses. IMO either get a J-bass , a P-bass, a musicman style, rickenbacker or something with soap bars.

3. As the problem is only present in the bridge ,
    maybe the problem is the string height..

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Sounds like a Setup issue...

5. junglebike

junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Any hints on what to check for? I'm pretty adept at setup, and this bass plays killer. I know it's not a string height issue, as I've got the strings adjusted perfectly.

As for the P/J, I find it a versatile combination. Why on earth would you recommend a P-only over a P/J? I mean, if I just want a P, I can roll up to the neck pup. I've lost nothing, and I've gained a growly bridge pickup for more bite if I want it.

6. junglebike

junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Okay, it's not a setup problem. By tapping on the pickup with a hex wrench and listening through my amp, I've located a "dead spot" right under the D-string where the metal wrench doesn't make any noise at all... so it seems to me that this is a pickup problem. Anyone heard of something like this before? Could this thread get moved to "pickups" where it belongs (I believe)?

7. I can move this for you if you like. To Pickups. There'll be a link in this forum too for you.

:D:D

Merls

Show Sidebar