1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

D-tuned for the Opera?

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by c-ba55, Sep 7, 2001.

1. I've been playing along with your opera by tuning all 4-strings down a whole step. I was wondering if that's what you do, or if you just detune the E and leave the rest alone, or what?

Also got a chance this wknd to read The Minutemen chapter in <u>Our Band Could be Your Life</u>, which put you guys in a pretty good light. Were you happy with that book?

2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi,

I only tuned the e string (the fatest one) down to d. the other three are still a-d-g. the opera is mainly for d. boon, right?

I was interviewed for that book by its author, michael azerrad. the title is from a line in a minutemen song I wrote called "history lesson (part II)." I've read it and am glad someone's shedding light on a period of music I feel has been pretty much ignored. I'm proud of those days and the folks I got to share them with.

if someone starts their own band after they read that book then I consider it a success!

on bass, watt

3. Nice, subtle tribute to D. with the bass tuning, mike. I hadn't even made the connection until you mentioned it.

Was the guitar tuned to drop-D as well for the opera?

4. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi cj,

nels detuned his guitar's e string to d also. I also had him do the solo to "the boilerman" w/one of d boon's teles too.

on bass, watt