1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

D-Tuner for a 5 string?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BruceBass3901, Sep 14, 2010.

1. I am considering putting a D-Tuner on the E string of a 5 string bass I am building (to be tuned BEADG). The neck I am using is a Fender Precision style, so are there any D-tuners that will fit on the headstock alongside the other 4 tuners? BTW, the headstock uses a 4 + 1 arrangment.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

2. Brubass

Brubass

Jul 17, 2009
    Ridgefield, CT
    Interesting concept... No criticism intended, but why do you want a D-Tuner on a 5 string that can already reach the low D on the B string?

3. loend68

loend68 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2008
    NH
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses, T.C. Electronics
    I think if there's enough spacing between tuners you can do it. I think Hipshot will modify the lever so it will go past the B-tuner. I'm planning to do this on my Peavey...

Brubass~ it's been beaten to death around here, but it gives you the option of playing alot of the songs written with a D-tuner (RATM, Velvet Revolver, etc) with riffs that ride the open D....

4. Brubass

Brubass

Jul 17, 2009
    Ridgefield, CT
    Ah - learn something new every day - thanks!

5. Really, I just want the option of being able to flick the switch and hit the D rather than transpose everything ... it would make tuning even easier :p

6. mech

mech

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Don't leave out Pink Floyd's "Brick In the Wall" It's the first tune I remember that had the drop D.

To the OP. It can probably be done. I'd get in touch with Hipshot to ask since this is getting more common. I have D-Tuners on two Peavey TL-5s that I modified myself. Don't know what it would take on a Fender but it couldn't be that difficult.

D-tunerPanorama.jpg

mech

7. loend68

loend68 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2008
    NH
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses, T.C. Electronics
    How did you modify it? Just bend the lever out a little? I'd be putting on on a Millenium 5'er....so same spacing on the tuners.

8. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    ah! you have a D-tuner on the E string!!!????!???!!?!??
    why not on the B string?
    ah! I kNow! because that would be an A-tuner! :bag:

9. mech

mech

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Bijoux...cute. :)

Front of the lever was filed off (smoothed/polished) so it would miss the B tuner. The tuning screw had to be shortened a taste to get a little finger room and it's spring shortened to keep it from stacking up. Wasn't difficult, just did a lot of eye-balling and some measurements.

PM me if you're interested and I'll give you a more detailed version.

mech

10. shawn-o

shawn-o

Jan 29, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    Its do-able.I have shallers on my modded squire5 with nordy's.

I have it set to be tuned D-E-A-D-G. I use the detuner to drop it down to a low B for one song. We play afew songs that ride the drop D, so ive found it pretty useful imo.

headstock.gif

... I guess I could have just had it on the E string like posted above, but it wouldnt have fit with the large plate/ detuner lever right there. I purchased the tuners through tb and got a pretty decent deal so no complaints over here!

11. mech

mech

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Just eyeballing it, you're right, it would never fit.

mech

12. Judging from @Shawn-o's Jazz, I don't reckon I will be able to achieve it =/

13. mech

mech

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Take a measurement from the center of the gear screw to the edge of the mounting plate for the A tuner. Hipshot has so many styles I'll bet a six-pack they'll have one that'll fit. May take new screw holes.

Be sure and know the post diameter you need, too.

14. PM sent
    had a problem here, maybe you can help
    IMG_0914.gif

15. mech

mech

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    I don't think this will work unless the lever on the E tuner is bent and I have not been able to bend one without it breaking. Even if the front of the paddle of the E tuner lever is filed off it looks like the lever will still hit the B tuner gear box. This would be caused by the extra thickness of the mounting plate that is required for the drop tuner to work.

Do you know a metal worker who could make one that would be the right shape?

mech

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021