1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

D-tuner for other than top string

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Geoff St. Germaine, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I've tried searching on this and haven't found anything.

Does anyone know of any d-tuner that's available that could be used on a string that isn't the top string (specifically for the E string on a 6 tuned BEADGC)?

I have a d-tuner on the B already, but it seems apparent in looking at it that the same setup won't fit into the E string position.

Thanks,

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Good question! When I read this, I had a thought, hrm, put one on every string of my 5er, so I can drop down a full step on every string by flicking 5 switches :p. What fun that'd be! I also though it'd be cool to do it inverted. have it when it's on the "lower" tuning actually be standard, then when you flip it, it goes up a step...dunno about that one though.

Well, this was a useless post, but meh, I'm interested too.
    Ray

3. If I'm not mistaken, I believe that Michael Manring uses multiple d-tuners on his bass. There must be some photos somewhere of his axes. Perhaps try asking in his forum. Dunno.

4. Hipshot makes a D-tuner with a raised lever for just such a purpose. As long as the adjacent tuner (on the other side of the headstock) isn't too close, it's a quick swap. On my GT-5 it was tougher. I needed to shave some material off the D-tuner and also the tuner on the opposite end of the headstock. After I shaved the material, I smooth sanded the rough work with higher and higher grit sandpaper, then repainted the alterations with a thinned black lacquer. I also had to swap out the original large-headed tuning screw with a simple Allen head. They are much smaller at the head. Unless you look *really* close, everything looks great. Can hardly notice.

5. GSG,

Check out Bob Sperzel's D-Thing detuners. You could probably put one on EVERY string. :)

http://www.sperzel.com/

Their tuners are phenomenal. I highly suggest that you check them out. Call up Bob. He's a real treat to talk to. :)

Jay Terrien

6. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I saw these on the net, but no pics of them installed. They looked like they might work out. One on every string... while expensive, that might be a pretty good setup. I guess I'll have get in touch with Bob.

Thanks,

7. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    I did it with standard hipshots on an old Ibanez 4 string. Had a split (2+2) headstock that had major spacing between the machineheads. I bought the bass for the headstock size alone, cuz that is what I wanted to do with it. Worked great.

8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I believe that the "Zon Michael Manring Signature Hyperbass" (as he's required to call it at SWR clinics) has one on all four strings.

If you ever get a chance to see Michael in concert or at a clinic, by all means go. It's quite entertaining to watch him put the Hyperbass through its paces...