Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

D-tuner on my skyline =P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bardolph, May 20, 2004.

1. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I was pretty sure the skylines came with hipshot ultralite tuners. Well I ordered a hipshot d-tuner that was a direct replacement for the ultralite tuners and it's too small around. What kind of d-tuner do I get to fit my skyline?

2. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Hope you don't mind me asking, what is a D-tuner? Is it just the shape of the head or is it a drop tuner?

3. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    a drop tuner good sir

4. I'd contact lakland, they are good about responding to e-mails

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Hipshot ultra lights come in two post sizes. I bet that was the problem.

Peace
    Nick

6. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx

Yeah Ive sent Dan two emails in the last two weeks and havent heard one thing back

7. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    This is correct. I can tell you, my 55-01 has hipshot ultralites on it.

Anyway, a D-Tuner, is like having a flip switch on your E String. You can tune it to to anything, really.

Mechanically, I get it... But, I never understood why folks get 'em... Why not just retune the whole damn thing BEAD if you need to go that low.

I guess i've just seen too many guitarists w/ whammy bars, that always get outta tune. Any time you change the tension on a string repeatedly, by flipping that lever & you're going to be lucky if it stays in tune, IMHO.

8. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I would contact Hipshot directly, with your bass in hand they can talk you through things and get you the exact drop key for your Skyline.

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Because some songs are writen around having a low D as the open note.

Its a lot easier to get a little lever that you can flip to go back and forth from E to D between or in the middle of songs than to retune the normal way. The audience will apreciate the quick change and the lack of the anoying "tunning song".

Peace
    Nick

10. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    No no, I think you're missing my point Nick...

The next time you change strings,,, buy a 5-string set, using only the BEAD strings & tune it that way... put the G string away. I've seen more than a few threads regarding this, & unless you use your G string alot, could be alot easier, & more stead alternative. I have a 5-string, & as such, have no use for this.

The only reason I waffle on this is, if you keep increasing & reducing the tension on a string over & over, it'll 1) wear out faster 2) require more frequent retunes, which would REALLY suck in the middle of a show.

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    But what about when a song demands that you have a low open D string?

Besides, I use my G way to much to ditch it.

Peace
    Nick

12. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    McHack,

My drop tuner has been more relable and accurate than your description. I never have problems with it going out of tune once it is dialed in (which takes awhile).

As far as the BEAD, I would say that most players using a drop tuner are not doing so as a cost alternative to a 5-string, rather they prefer standard tuning. In my case, my ears simply dislike the low B. To me, it is cool in recordings, but has never represented well live (and I have owned and played several high end 5's so that is not the issue).

To each his own, I simply wanted to point out most drop-d players are going for the drop d vibe, not a 5 string vibe.

13. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    True True True, just trying to provide a different perspective. Since I already on a 5'er, I'd never put a d-tuner on any 4-banger I had,,, I'd just use the 5.

I honestly don't know that many folks who use a d-tuner, but if its made by hipshot, I'm sure its dead on...

I guess I'm just freaked out by string tension changes. How many times have you picked up a guitar w/ a whammy bar, & yanked on it a couple of times & suddenly its outta tune...

14. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Well, I mangaged to make it fit with some bent metal strip and drilling compensation. Now the tuner is solid in place and is working fine. Properly set up, the D and the E are right in tune. I string from E to C by the way.

15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Just for the sake of giving an example, check out "My Own Summer" by the "Deftones." Its not the only example but the first one to pop into my mind of a song which requires a certain open string tunning to be played properly. Ok, Ill admit that it can be done on a 5 string but that would be a lot harder.

Its tunned to C# FWIW.

Peace
    Nick