Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mellem, Apr 6, 2002.

1. Mellem

Feb 1, 2002
    Greenville, MI
    About half of the songs our band plays are in Drop D, and I heard something about a D-tuner, which would be immensely convienient. I think it's like a switch or something that makes the E string a D string and vice versa, but I don't know any specifics. Any details about what it is would be appreciated, and any recommendations or warnings would also be good. Thx!
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

What you are looking for is the Hipshot bass extender. It is a replacement tuning key that has a lever for changing between 2 preset pitches, like E and D, and a thumbscrew for tuning the lower pitch.

3. They work well, and are relatively low cost. I have had mine since the late 80's, and it still works great.

It is a must have for tunes in "D", and anything in between the "D" and "E". Saves you from having to totally tune down, or having a second bass for alternative tuning.
  4. cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    Dont they have a D tuner that goes on the bridge too? i think i saw one in musicians friend....its just a little flip of a switch...but i read something you had to have a double lockin bridge or something to use it...
  5. That'd be a "D-tuna" for a floyd rose equiped guitar. They work on pure attitude and unwillingness to practice. The hipshot works on pure skill and easygoinness (Wooooo Good word. Kind of like funnest and much gooder)