"D" tuner

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tom Lee, Feb 16, 2003.

1. I recently read somewhere in a magazine about these "d" tuner things. You flick a switch and it changes your e string down to a d string.

Are these accurate?

Do they cause any problems?

Can you fit one to a bass that doesn't already have one?

Thanks for your help
  2. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    ive recently been thing the exact same thing... any info would be appreciated.
  3. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    They'll fit any bass that doesn't have one..you just have to find on that fits the holes (or no holes) for your current tuners. Hit stewmac.com and places like that. They can be very accurate, and if installed wrong, pretty off as well (or am I thinking of something else?). Problem wise, the hardest thing to do is install them and get them set correctly....that's about it though...
  4. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Ok, thats a link for the Hipshot d-tuner. It's probably the most common of them. I had one on my squire p-bass, and didn't like it soley cos the D was to flappy.
    Ray (again)
  5. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I dunno if I have ever played a downtuned E to D that WASN'T floppy, lol. After all, the string was designed to play an E I think. I play a 5 string for a reason ;) :D
  6. NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    The Hipshot Bass X-tender is pretty nifty, I have one installed on my bass. I set the detuned note to D about 6 months ago, and I haven't had to touch the thing since. The only thing I'd be careful about is the detuning lever itself, it seems that it would break off fairly easily if you whacked the headstock against something. It's not cheaply made, but I would just mind it a bit more than usual. Well worth the money, IMO.
  7. The Hipshot is the most common, and is accurate, with no problems. It can be tuned to Eb as well as D. Some basses are factory fitted with them. One that springs to mind is the Peavey Millenium plus 4.
  8. I have a hipshot on my 6-string so I can drop my B to an A --- don't want any keyboard players "out subbing" me -- he he -- never had a problem on mine , and is probably the best " bang for the buck" accessory you can buy ...
  9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've played a lot of basses with D-tuners that when it was set to D it wasen't floppy.The right set up on the bass should slove most of the floppyness.

I have the HipShot on3 basses & they work perfectly!!!! :bassist:
  10. bennettsteve

bennettsteve Guest

Dec 14, 2002
    I installed a Hipshot Bass Extender on my '73 P a couple of weeks ago. It was easy to install, is a perfect match for the other machine heads, and works perfectly. The low D isn't the least bit floppy.

One caveat, you must read the instructions on tuning. You have to give the lever a quick flip every time you tune the E, or else it'll come back sharp the fiirst time you detune and retune. No biggie, just something to remember.

I highly recommend it to anyone who prefers four strings, but wants an occasional D or E flat. Oh, and having a pedal point for the low G can be cool too.
  11. j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    Get a 5 stringer :D
  12. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I have a hipshot on one of my basses.... no problems! we tune down a half step anyway, and then to d tune (actually Db) and I have no trouble at all... the hipshot is on my Geddy Lee, and when I scrounge more up the will go on all my 4 stringers...

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I had Hipshots on all my four-bangers. They're excellent devices. Once the string is broken in, I could switch from E to D and back even within the same song and still remain in tune. Sure, tension's going to change a little, but I've never had a problem with a string getting too floppy.

Here's the problem with them: they will only detune to one note. That one note can range from Db to C (in some cases), but you have to pick one before the gig. While the Hipshot made it a snap to detune to D, it didn't help at all when I needed to detune to other notes. So that's why I decided to switch to fiver in Y2k.
  14. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    Ya i got one, best $80 I ever spent. Setting it up is rather easy, just make sure everything's tight. I suggest you really read the manual if u get it. the tuning becomes a science:rolleyes: