D-tuning setup for Warwick?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Charmand G, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Charmand G

Charmand G

Nov 30, 2005
    I`ve playing in standard BEADG-tuning so far, but recently my band has modulated alot of the songs to be fit in D-tuning, so I have to tune a step down to ADGCF#.
    Now, I just wanted to know if any of you have any tips on what adjustments I should do to the bass to get it less "clacky" and a bit more thight. I have a 5str. Warwick Vampyre, btw.

2. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Use heavier gauge strings, and then set the bass up for the heavier gauge. This will increase tension back to the norm for the neck, so you'll be back to the normal clearance.
  3. I'm not actually sure why you need to retune your bass if they are going to D from E, (you'll still have lower notes - B through D in standard 5 string tuning) but...

If you really want the low A I'd just tune down the B string the full step, not the whole bass, giving you AEADG (just like playing drop D on a four). No real need for a new set up that way!
  4. Charmand G

Charmand G

Nov 30, 2005
    Thanks, but it gets real easier to be able to play with an open low D, and since I`m used to play in standard tunings, re-tuning the whole bass is the easiest way for me to readjust.

and Kronos: thanks, I`ll have a look at some strings.:)