Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Da' FUNK!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Brendan, Jun 23, 2002.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm getting on a huge Funk kick right now...been blasting Clinton, (in all incarnations), TOP, Sly, some others...What are some realyl good, agressive funk songs for me to sink my teeth into?

Agressive as in Atomic Dog, Tear the Roof Off, Jungle Boogie (Kool & Gang), ect. Stuff that's jus' FUNKY

Help a brother out!

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Currently, I'm looking to pick up Chocolate City by Parliament...a couple in a simliar vibe-

Fred Wesley & The Horny Horns-
    1)Say Blow By Blow Backwards
    2)A Blow For Me, A Toot For You

Betty Davis-
    1)Betty Davis...her debut, it's produced by Family Stone drummer Gregg Errico. Graham also plays some bass on this disc. Davis(Miles' ex & a lover of Hendrix)is sorta like a Funk/R&B version of Janis Joplin.
    2)They Say I'm Different

The Temptations-
    Psychedelic Shack

Earth, Wind, & Fire-
    Earth, Wind, & Fire...their FIRST album. Smacks of Sly & not of their Pop stuff.
    I also like That's The Way Of The World & Gratitude.

Mandrill is another group definitely worth checking out...a lot of folks keep forgettin' about them.
    Their Anthology set or the early ones...awesome!

...Herbie Hancock & The Headhunters-
    Thrust
    Flood
    Man-Child

3. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    Check out some Galactic. "We Love Em' Tonight" is a greasy damn album. Also, dig on some Robert Walther's 20th Congress.

4. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I bought the 20th Century Masters Best of Parliament, Millenium Collection. It's got all the hot tunes, and you can find it at Tower in the $8.99 bin now and then.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Meters - "Look-Ka Py Py" is one of my current favorite funk disks.

Any Al Green, Curtis Mayfield, Sly, TOP, Mandrill will do ya...

more R&B then funk... but I'm really diggin the Remy Shand disk, this kid has got soul :cool:

6. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    It's hard to beat the Polydor James Brown compilations. I like "Foundations Of Funk", the '64-'69 collection, and "A Brand New Thang" (?), from the short-lived but dynamic Bootsy Collins-driven band in 1970.

Live recordings with the same bands are "Say It Live And Loud", a 1966 Dallas performance, and "Love Power Peace", the only live recording of the 1970 band.

Get down with yo' bad seff! Ooonh!

7. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I've always liked you Jim! Even if you like the Iggles!

How's 'bout....

...Slave-
    Stone Jame

...GCS-
    Greatest Hits

...Stevie Wonder-
    Talkin' Book
    Songs in the Key of Life

8. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I suggest Average White Band:
    "Pickin' Up The Pieces-The Best of Average White Band". Its on Rhino. No funk freak should be without it.

9. The Brothers Johnson are also a very funky band. I've got one of their 'greatest hits' CDs (not sure what else is out ther) and it's great. Check out the song, "Stomp." It has a killer slap solo. Very groovy.:)

10. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    Jamiroquai - Return of the Space Cowboy

IMO that band on that disc (and TwM) is the best funk band ever - and one of the best ever in any style.

11. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    STEVIE WONDER!!!
    I love this man..

I have always said I would love to play bass with Stevie Wonder.. Many of his songs are bass driven... and those bass lines are tasty indeed

Tower of Power..
    These guys are hard and funky...

The string cheese incident ;)
    I don't know if you call these guys "funk"
    but they do kick it with a tasty groove

Just listen to any recordings.. I know i haven't heard every single recording.. but most of them are going to funk you up

12. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    MMMmm... funk.

Stevie Wonder: Songs in the Key of Life

You are officially dead if stuff like "Sir Duke", "I Wish", "Ebony Eyes" and "All Day Sucker" don't make your booty move. I grew up listening to this album.

Stevie Wonder: Song Review - Greatest Hits

Good compilation of Stevie's stuff.. although there are some tunes scattered about in it from the 80's which really weren't my thing with Stevie. "Boogie on Reggae Woman" is absolutely filthy-dirty; there should be a warning label with that song about not operating heavy machinery while listening to it.

Tower of Power: Tower of Power, Urban Renewal, Back to Oakland

All three of the discs with Lenny Williams on lead vocals are absolutely terrifying. These are by far my top 3 Tower albums. Everyone knows "What is Hip?", but stuff like "Soul Vaccination", "Get yo' Feet Back on the Ground", "Squib Cakes", "Maybe it'll Rub Off", "I Got the Chop", "Give Me The Proof"... argh!! there's just so much good stuff. My funk band plays a lot of Tower of Power... and most of it is from these 3 albums. There's a link in some other thread to us doing "Squib Cakes" at our last show.

The Brothers Johnson: the best of...

They are as funky as they wanna be. "Strawberry Letter 23", "Stomp", and "Get the Funk Out Ma Face" are great stuff baby. Check them out.

Ohio Players: Gold

Yeah. This is a great "best of" cd by a funky-ass band. Dig on "Fire" and "Skintight". Ka-pow!

The Isley Brothers: The Ultimate Isley Brothers

Another compilation CD. Spans a lot of their work and I say damn! Funkified to the core. "It's Your Thing" is still probably my favorite tune of theirs.

Earth Wind & Fire: As, The Way of the World, the best of...

All 3 of these CD's are good to own. Stuff like "In the Stone", "Shining Star", "September"... dig. Just great stuff.

Go forth, and funkifize.

13. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    The Meters: Funkify Your Life

A 2 disc anthology that makes you nod your head and say "yeah".