Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

da vinci code?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Jun 13, 2004.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    who's read it?

i thought it was great.

i'm about to go on a holy grail quest. :hyper:

2. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    It's badass. I read it in two sittings, absolutely couldn't stop.

3. Baofu

Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    WA/CA
    A lot of the things discussed in Da Vinci Code can be found in a book called "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" which Brown borrowed heavily from.

He's a decent author, the research aspects of his books are interesting, but if you read any of his others, they struck me, plot-wise, as extremely formulaic.

4. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I was thinking about picking up Angels and Demons when I run out of other stuff to read. Am I reading your post right that it's not really very good?

5. naw hes saying browns book is ok (if im not mistaken)

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Interesting. I've read two of his other books (didn't have a choice - it was either him or romance stuff for flights) and thought he was lame enough to not bother with the DaVinci Code. His style changes?

His other two (Deception Point and something forgettable) read like made for TV movie scripts. Feh.

7. Baofu

Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    WA/CA
    No, angels and demons and da vinci code are basically the same book, with different names for the characters (though, he DOES use the same protagonist).

Very average writer. I also read deception point. Which just replaced the Catholic church with NASA.

8. girlybassplaya

girlybassplaya Guest

Mar 24, 2004
    USA BABY!

very similar to da vinci code. either one you pick, i think you'll like. its very interesting and i dont know much about religion. very well written. i also just finished digital fortress by dan brown. it was ok.

9. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    It bothers me that this guy has a near-monopoly on the top ten fiction books (I think he has 3 or 4). I've not read anything by him, and frankly, from what I've heard from people and from what I've read on back covers, I don't want to. Seems like a typical author in a lot of senses.

10. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
  11. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    For anybody who enjoyed Da Vinci Code, check out Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco. All through reading DVC I was reminded of FP. Unfortunately, I believe DVC suffers in the comparison :meh:

12. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Dan Brown is a great author, but mediocre writer. He's the kind of writer that alot people look for. Not tied down by detail and he moves the story along well. I though Angels & Demons is a great book, along with DaVinci Code (A&D was better I thought). Check it out, not everyone is going to agree about what books are the best. Read it for yourself.

13. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    If you want to get really paranoid, read "The Illuminatus Trilogy" by Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson. The "Schroedinger's Cat Trilogy" is a great read too. Not the same as the "Da Vinci Code," but great stuff nonetheless.

"Just because you aren't paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't anybody out to get you" - Hassan I Sabbah (or was it Mr. Natural?)

14. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i thought the same thing. FP was much less digestable though becuase of the way it is written. DVC is VERY mainstream and easy for the average reader, i think.

15. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    My wife loved this book...

My daughter wanted to read Angels & Demons first, so she's working that... She said is took a while to get going w/ it, but likes it now.

16. Baofu

Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    WA/CA
    ::shudder::

He's just kidding folks, he doesn't really want you to read those books. It was just a very cruel, cruel practical joke. :)

17. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Very much so.

18. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I couldn't even get all the way through the Illuminatus books. I could pick one up and read ten or twenty pages and it would be awesome stuff. But if I read just a little bit more it would become random, bizarre and stupid. I suppose I could have eventually finished by reading ten pages at a time. But i lost interest along the way.

And Deception Point stunk.

19. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    After all the hype I was extremely disappointed in The DaVinci Code.

I'd also recommend Umberto Eco's books to anyone looking for historical mysteries with more substance. Another excellent writer is Iain Pears. I recently read his book The Dream of Scipio and am planning to read his other historical mystery, An Instance of the Fingerpost.

20. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I was very suprised to here of people turning to this book for a lesson in Theolgy or a deeper knowing of Christ, i in reply in say it is fiction with Biblical Figures in it. I watched a documentry on it and that was enough for me.