Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

D'adario EXP coated bass strings lousey?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Triclops, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    I just bought 3 sets of em for my five string, and I hope I made the right decision.(3 sets for $80.00 U.S) I've heard they are very good, however I've also read on here that they blow...:eyebrow:

2. redwood

redwood

Oct 3, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    Sorry to say I'm not too big a fan. But I was also used to Elixers, which seem to be much smoother, and had a longer life. That and on the 3rd gig with the Black Beauties, I walked off the stage after the second set with black crap all over my fingers. It's got my unsealed maple neck looking pretty crappy too.
    Although it looks like they're about 1/2 the price of An Elixer 5 string set, I thought they wern't half as good.
    But,......just my 2 cents.

3. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    black beauties? I'm talking about d'adario exp's

4. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    DR's Coated strings are .....ok. They aren't the best but I can't imagine a coated XL sounding good. Were they too muted or just plain old BLAH?

5. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    my black beauties were blah. but good for my fretess.

6. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Not a big coated fan myself. I think they are a Big compromise in tone and feel - both the bass strings and the guitar strings.

Plus, I'm the kind of guy that doesn't change strings often.
    Once I get a pair matched to a bass that works, those strings stay there for a Lonnng time. :)

7. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I've been meaning to try the EXP's for a while, but since they don't make a set that I can string my bass E-F with, I haven't gotten around to it, and I don't play my Jazz enough to bother throwing them on there.

8. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Am I the only one thinking that spending $80 of three sets of a brand you've never tried isn't perhaps the best idea?

9. Erm, isnt the coating on the EXP's a NICKEL[plated] coating - "for longer life"?
    They're no slowounds, thats fer sure, but i found them to be better than the average XL's.

From daddario.com:
    "An ultra-fine layer of EXP Coating is bonded to the outer nickel-plated steel wrap wire providing a barrier against corrosion and wear and keeps strings sounding fresh and bright 3 to 4 time longer than traditional bass strings."

Personally I saw no loss in tone nor feel; I bled all over the strings after my 2nd gig, so that bunged them up nice n good likes, so I can't comment on their life.

If you like nickel roundwounds, I don't think you'll be disappointed. :) if you are, i'll have them. ;)

10. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Buying three sets having never tried them isn't exactly a smart move, but hey, it's not my wallet.

And to Micro... have you tried Elixirs before? If so, how do the EXPs compare?

11. Can't say I've ever tried elixirs; in my quest for strings the reviews didn't quite match up with what I was looking for.
    that was a long time ago, so I couldnt say why/what i was looking for ;)
    Slowounds are still the best strings I've ever had! :(

12. agplate

agplate

Jan 12, 2005
    New England
    I've used EXP's, DR extra life (blue and black) and Elixirs. The EXP's get sticky and don't last that long. The DR's were nice but not zingy. Elixirs are the only ones I'll go back to. Good luck!

13. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    All the coiated strings throw away high end I don't want to lose. But Elixirs are the least objectionable and I think they have a nicer feel too. If I wanted to tone down the treble they'd be my choice.

14. krazy_olie

krazy_olie

May 10, 2004
    Well I was going to buy some but i bought a set of the uncoated ones. Only had a dew days but so far the tone has been good, I may well buy some of the coated versions if I continue to like 'em.

15. do they BB's really bleed like this? this is the first i've heard of it. i am considering trying some out on my maple-boarded ripper, but if they might mar it, then maybe not!

16. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I have had both BB's and Red Devils and i have never ever had anything rub onto my fingers although the black does where off.

17. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    i didn't like d'addario's coated strings. the tone was not to my liking, to trebly and not enough bite. i liked their standard nickel rounds the best. i have since switched to DR Hi-Beams though.

18. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    The EXP's are verey bright at first with alot of zing.... excellent for fingerstyle stuff. After a week or so they loose the luster and i mean quickly. I also noticed that they're very stiff or "fast" may be the word i'm looking for. I like a little more recoil in a string. Not bad strings but, Rotosound get's all my string money.

19. the giz

the giz

Aug 19, 2006
    i'VE TRIED THEM ALL BUT THE BEST I'VE COME ACROSS WERE THOMASTIK-INFELD, PERIOD. A LITTLE EXPENSIVE BUT THE BEST AND STRONGEST STRINGS ON THE MARKET TODAY. GET THE JAZZ SET. THEY WERE BASICALLY MADE FOR UPRIGHT BUT, ARE NOW FOR ELECTRIC BASS.

20. saxofunk

saxofunk

Jul 25, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Can't comment on EXPs... but I have to defend Black Beauties.

That business about them leaving black stuff all on fingers and neck is very questionable to me. I have been through two sets of BBs on my bass and a set on acoustic guitar. The only wear was at points where the strings contacted frets and where I used a pick, and it there was absolutely no residue left the instruments. I had one set on the bass for well over a year, play mostly fingerstyle, and the coating didn't shred.