Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

d'adario half wounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Jun 30, 2005.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    dont know if anyoen cares or has played them, but i just string my bass today with them and man they are great. sound like a roundwound and feel like a flat wound. its pretty cool. also seem to be well versed in all different styles, slap, plec, fingers, tapping... lots of fun.

2. BuffaloBob4343

BuffaloBob4343 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    What axe did you string them on?

3. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    my zon sonus. pretty sweet.

4. BuffaloBob4343

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I assume your Zon is fretted?|

I am looking for some strings to replace the Warwick Black Labels with which my fretted thumb 5 bolt was shipped.

The Thumb bolt seems naturally bright to begin with, and it does not come with a mid boost.

I can EQ it with my amp to some extent, but I find myself cutting the highs down quite a bit. I guess I am not that thrilled with those high tension Stainless Steels and all of the string noise and fret clicking you get with them.

I am looking to tone down the highs a bit and boost the mids as well. I don't want to defeat the Thumbs natural brightness, just take the edge off a bit.

I am thinking about the TI Powerbass strings. I have read some good reviews and they seem to have the characteristics I'm looking for. I really like Stefan Lessard's sound and he uses them on his Modulus basses.

They are high dolla', but I have read that they last a long time.

What is the natural charctaristics of your Zon, and what strings did you replace with the D'Adds?

5. BuffaloBob4343

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    PS

I guess I should have figured what you're playing based on your handle! LOL!

6. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I've been thinking about these strings. I've used D'Addario XL nickel roundwounds for close to a couple thousand years now, and I'm finding I'm wanting something with a little less edge to them as well (I suppose this means I shall not be going to stainless rounds anytime soon!)

7. I use them on my Dean Edge 4 fretless and love them...nice feel, body, sound....and they're nice to the fingerboard as well.

Jay

8. BuffaloBob4343

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Hey fellow Houstonian!

When you say "these strings" are you referring to the D'Add halfs or the TI Powers?

What brand of bass are you raking??

I am not a string expert by any means, so there may be some steels out there which you might like.

All I know is that the Warwicks are just too zingy and noisy for my taste, at least when you combine them with a bass that is going to be naturally bright anyway.

It's funny. I didn't notice this until I got my new rig (Yorky XS800H and Avatar 210Pro and 115Pro). Then everything was articulated and I started not liking my Thumb anymore. Then it occurred to me that strings may be the way to solve the problem.

Except I don't know much about strings empirically at least (although I have spent HOURS researching them).

I was hoping to find a fellow Thumb (or Warwick) player on this board who experienced my dissatisfaction and solved it with a string change.

9. BuffaloBob4343

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    The D'Adds or the TI's??

I am going to be getting my Modulus GVJ4 Fretless in a few days and I know they are coming with Labella tapewounds. I have a feeling I am going to want to go in a different direction (I want a versatile sound that can range from warm and Jazzy to some bite for rock at least initially) so I am trying to decide on what to buy for the new fretless.

10. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    The D'Addarios. I have a Rickenbacker bass that's pretty bright, and though that bright clanky sound did me well for years and years, I'm wanting something warmer and a bit more subdued these days. I'd personally rather get something changed at the source (in this case, the strings) rather than tweak endlessly with EQ and such... because once I start tweaking, I can't stop. ;) I've read about people using flats and half-wounds on Ricks with great results. Heck, flats worked for McCartney. ;)

I might try them on my fretless as well. That bass also has D'Addario nickel rounds on it right now, but I find I'm always turning down the high frequencies in the 10khz range on my mixer to get rid of that zippy sound.

11. BuffaloBob4343

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    My sentiments exactly! I have considered putting nickel D'Adds or even Chromes on my Warwick, but I guess I am concerned about going too far in mellowing the tone. Interesting that you still find the nickel rounds to still be too bright. Gawd, you should here my Warwick Black Labels on my Thumb. Talk about zing! Sometimes I cut the Treble on the guitar completely.

I guess it's always a matter of what sounds good to someone at a particular time.

I think I am going to go with TI powerbass first on both my Thumb and my Jazz, and see what happens. Maybe I will migrate the Jazz fretless to grounds or even flats over time.

BTW, are you playing out with a band in Houston, and if so when and where? I like seeing what other people are up to! :bassist:

12. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    I'm rather upset D'addario isn't making halfrounds in stainless steel anymore. I've been using them since the early 80s. Will try the nickles but like the brite tone of steel. I use 'em on a fretless '77 Ripper

13. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Heh, I felt just the same way when they discontinued the nickel ones, which I strongly preferred. I finally got my fretless Bean dialed in with the SS ones, and voila, they start doing 'em in nickel again. :cool: