1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

D'Adario Helecore Pizz Review

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by NicholasF, Jul 18, 2012.

1. NicholasF

NicholasF Guest

Jan 17, 2012
    Today I got a pack of Helecore's, after breaking both my G and A strings this morning.

Feel-A very rounded feel, on the thick side with a little bit more tension than I like.

Left Hand Feel- they don't feel flat enough for what I like, vabrato sounds OK, almost like a subpar orchestral string should

Sound Pizz-Not really doing it for me, that's their main purpose, but they are low volume, thin toned right now

Sound Arco-Below average, is a little harder to bow, and sounds very overtoney, but nothing special. They have a draggy feeling under the bow maybe from a coating(tested with different bows). Also not very loud bowed.

Packaging-A+ package if that means anything to you

Over All- Not my favorite set of strings yet, it is only day 1 and these have some growing to do, but I regret buyinng them(Sam Ash only had these in stock, and it was an emergency) I don't really know what it is, but now doing a lot of orchestral stuff, its not giving me enough. Hopefully they can develop into something amazing. D'Adario Helecore first day was a disapointment.

Day 1: 3.5/10
    Week 1: 6/10
    Week 2:
    Week 3:
    Week 4:

2. DDBASS7

DDBASS7

Jun 28, 2012
    Greetings-used to use D'Addario Heliocore Orc & Hyrids until switching to EPs.
    Just put a set of the D'Addario Orch on my Carruthers EUB Sub-1 - same feeling as you the 1sr week - didn't like (had Spirocires on my UB & EUB before the switch) but have "settled in" & working well - both Pizz & Arco
    Suggest you play them daily up & down & all around & they'll settle.
    Good luck.

3. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Did you clean them with alcohol? Usually lots of manufacturing debris will come off new strings. Give them a couple of weeks to settle.

4. NicholasF

NicholasF Guest

Jan 17, 2012
    I did clean them, I don't know if they're orchestral or hybrid,but they are the ones in the blue package not the green. I plan on doing a 1 month review, and if they start to grow on me ill keep reviewing. I am getting a chance to play my bass every day 6-8hrs a day, lessons once a week, and shows on the weekends. My practicing is all arco which will help to break them in faster. Thanks guys stay tuned for a second review!

5. DDBASS7

DDBASS7

Jun 28, 2012
    6-8 hrs of practice daily-you go boy!!
    That should do it real good!
    I used them for several years, & have friends that still use them- orch & hybrids.
    Good luck

6. NicholasF

NicholasF Guest

Jan 17, 2012
    Haha yea its a lot of work, I have improv class in the morning from 9am-12pm, then 1pm-2pm I have applied music theory(music theory on the bass), then from 3pm-6pm I have combo then from 7pm-11pm I have comunity orchestra rehersal, from 1130pm-2am I practice. On weekends 10am-6pm practice. And then sometimes gigs at night. When you love your instrument, practacing isn't a chore,

7. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    I've had a set of the heavy gauge on my bass for over a year. I like them. I've had 2 other sets of strings on my bass during that time and ended up coming back to these. The pizz sound is great and the arco is better than what I expected. The arco sound is little strident but it's an acceptable trade-off for me.

With the price of German strings out of control, I'm glad that D'Addario has some reasonably priced offerings. I also like their Zyex strings but they don't have enough focus for my taste. I understand that they've improved their Hybrid product. I had the first release of those strings and I didn't like them. Rather than keep the best elements of pizzicato and arco strings they seemed to keep the worst. You can find a short review of the improved hybrids on the Lemur website. I think they've changed the core material to take the zing out of the bowed sound.

8. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I like the Hybrids much better than the Pizz version for jazz. They are a bit darker and take some of the edge off of the sound. Decent strings for the money, but they don't project as well as Spirocores. I am using them on my current bass for now and they are working out. The E growls nicely.

9. NicholasF

NicholasF Guest

Jan 17, 2012
    Week One: hey they sound like their comming into their own! I was very generous bringing the ratings up.

Feel:same as last week

Bow response: not terrible, but not the greatest better than day 1

Pizz resp

10. NicholasF

NicholasF Guest

Jan 17, 2012
    OK, so its been quite some time and here are the results:

Feel: They seem to have "loosened up" a little, they actually feel like there's slightly less tension

Bow Response: Not great for what I am doing, but it works.

Pizz Response: Well these are definitely made for pizz

Over All: Definitely a string that you have to grow into, it isnt the best string in the world, but certainly not the worst (did someone say red label?)

I would say throw these on your bass when its an emergency or if your out to play some swing.

11. Rebop

Rebop

Jul 9, 2008
    La Honda, CA
    Although all I've ever really played was jazz and swing and a million blues or rockabilly gigs (no arco) - for about 8 years I used Helicore Hybrids without even thinking about anything else other than the gig. Same set of strings; eight years. Then onto TI Superflexibles for about 7 (same set, of course, just to make sure I liked them or not), then back to the same old set of hybrids for a year or two (actually had to break them in again, sounded really bright again like brand new once they went back on).

I'm surprised you're not super warmed up to the straight pizz version. I have those low tension pizz helicores on my flatback with the carved top and although I have only played that particular bass for a total of 3 hours in the year or more I've owned it, I think they sound and feel pretty good (and the string height is near 1/2" at the end of the fb).

12. NicholasF

NicholasF Guest

Jan 17, 2012
    It could very much be the combo of bass and strings, im using a pretty crappy bass. The two must not mesh well, however I tried Belcantos and those I liked. I want to try Evahs and Kaplans too ;) maybe on my next bass

13. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    I have had a new set of Helicore hybrids once and for the first few days a lot of these very little iron chips where falling of the string on the fretboard. Is that normal? Is this the manufacturing debris you are talking about? Didn't have this with any other steel strings I have used after. They felt rough on some parts of the string in the beginning also. Not very consistent.

Also they sounded very metallic in the beginning and did take much more time to break in than Spiricores. Spricores sound good (almost) right away is my experience.

14. NicholasF

NicholasF Guest

Jan 17, 2012
    The little "chips" for me were more like little tiny strands, i would see them at the bottom of the fingerboard and on the top of my bass. The feel of the string just feels off, i know what you mean. It has somewhat of a broken in sound, doesnt mean it sounds good.

15. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Talking about rough spots on steel strings; is that normal on Helicores? And is it ok to polish those rough spots with steelwool? or does that damage the strings (also sound wise)?

16. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I use steel wool on all new sets before I install them. Smooth and sound fine.

17. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    ok, thanks for the tip! will try steel wool on my next set of strings.

18. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Bryan, TX
    I have had REALLY great experiences with the Helicore Pizz strings. I like a REALLY growly Spiro-like sound. When they start to go dead...that's not my thing. I'm not a gut fan, so take that at face value. But, on my bass, which, believe it or not is a cannon, AND a new chinese bass (very good maker. I've been to his place), they sound fantastic. Very even, punchy, growly string. It certainly doesn't hurt that this bass would sound good strung with bailing twine, though. I really, REALLY love the growl factor, esp. with the Pizz strings. YMMV.