Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

D'Adarrio ECB80 / Chromes

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by 59jazz, Oct 3, 2005.

1. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

Anyone feel a difference in tension between the ECB80's (.040-.095) and the ECB81's (.045-.100)? :eyebrow: Sound the same?

Thanks, H2

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I usually used the ECB81's and noticed very little between the 80 and 81, because there really isn't much.

Just a bit tighter on the E and A string I believe with the 81's.

3. I've used both sets, plus the .50-.105 set. I hear little difference between the 80 and the 81 set. I expected to lose some bass, but it didn't happen. The tension does feel a little looser on the 80 set to my hands. The lower tension caused me to have some buzz problems, but this is at least partly because bass I had them on needs a serious fret leveling.

4. I tried both sets this past week and I felt that the E string actually had the least amount of difference between sets. it was the other strings especially the G on the 80's that felt like they had considerably less tension than the 81's. Chromes are tightwound strings (unlike TI Flats which are flexible) so flexibility is limited, I liked the way the 80's gave in a little bit more especially in the higher register. Simply easier to play, w/o much volume loss. Both guages sound similar in tone, but IME it's the feel that's the major difference. I would consider the 80's low tension, noticeably lower than the 81's.

*They may be too loose for those who are comfortable w/the normal tension of flatwounds in general. HTH

5. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

Thanks for the reply guys! I really like the sound of the Chromes, but even with a very detailed setup, the ECB 81's D and G strings are just a bit too stiff. I was considering getting a set of the 80's and buying a single B string. :eyebrow: