1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

D'Adarrio ECB80 / Chromes

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by 59jazz, Oct 3, 2005.

1. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

Anyone feel a difference in tension between the ECB80's (.040-.095) and the ECB81's (.045-.100)? :eyebrow: Sound the same?

Thanks, H2

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I usually used the ECB81's and noticed very little between the 80 and 81, because there really isn't much.

Just a bit tighter on the E and A string I believe with the 81's.

3. I've used both sets, plus the .50-.105 set. I hear little difference between the 80 and the 81 set. I expected to lose some bass, but it didn't happen. The tension does feel a little looser on the 80 set to my hands. The lower tension caused me to have some buzz problems, but this is at least partly because bass I had them on needs a serious fret leveling.

4. I tried both sets this past week and I felt that the E string actually had the least amount of difference between sets. it was the other strings especially the G on the 80's that felt like they had considerably less tension than the 81's. Chromes are tightwound strings (unlike TI Flats which are flexible) so flexibility is limited, I liked the way the 80's gave in a little bit more especially in the higher register. Simply easier to play, w/o much volume loss. Both guages sound similar in tone, but IME it's the feel that's the major difference. I would consider the 80's low tension, noticeably lower than the 81's.

*They may be too loose for those who are comfortable w/the normal tension of flatwounds in general. HTH

5. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

Thanks for the reply guys! I really like the sound of the Chromes, but even with a very detailed setup, the ECB 81's D and G strings are just a bit too stiff. I was considering getting a set of the 80's and buying a single B string. :eyebrow: