1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

D'Adarrio slow-wounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rusty66, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Hey fellow pluckers! A few years ago D'adarrio made a set of strings called Slow wounds. They stopped selling them here in Aussie back then. Can you still get them in the states or anywhere else??
    They sounded the best on my warwick NT thumb5 and stayed bright for ever. Which helps when your a grease monkey mechanic (day job) by day & a rock god by night!!
    I'd love to try them out on my Tomkins custom also.

Any takers???
    Rusty

Life is too short to drink bad coffee. ;)

2. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Sorry dude D’Addario no longer makes slow wound strings.

3. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
  4. Larry99

Larry99

Aug 17, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Yea I used and really liked those strings myself. I've found that D'Addario's coated EXRs are pretty similar.

5. Thanks guys for the info I will follow it up. My next question was going to be "what should I use instead?".
    Thanks,
    Rusty

6. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    From the FAQ on the D'Addario site:

"When Slowounds were first introduced (about 8 years ago) they were produced on newly developed machines that made a more consisent, better string. They were wound at half the speed of the XLs, which were still being wound on older machines at the time. As our technology improved and we continued investing in better machinery (all designed in our own engineering dept by the way), the XL strings were being made on the same machines as the Slowounds."

"Slowounds were still wound at speed, but everything else including the materials used (besides silking) were identical. There just wasnt enough of a difference between these two nickel round wound sets to warrant carrying both or winding the XLs at speed. The machines we now use are so consistent that the winding speed has little to no effect on the quality of the strings."

7. I really miss those Slowounds.
    Hard to explain why exactly, they sure have their production process down, so the difference should be negligable.
    Should be... :eyebrow:
    Man, those were some really funky and soulful strings. The new XL's are close, but still not quite the same. Especially when the set was getting old, those Slowounds just kept their soul, while the XL's go a bit dull. Good thing I saved a couple of my old SW sets for my future (dub)reggae bass.

Heck... I miss 'em so much I'd buy them again even if they upped the price a little... :oops:

8. So many seem to like them. Makes me wonder why they quit making them. I saw them at a local "Mr. E's" music store but they wanted over $40 for two sets and only sold in sets of two so I passed on them.

9. Hot diggity, that's what I have to shell out for one set on this side of the pond. Another testament to how much I like 'em I guess. :meh:

10. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    I am orphan of the solwounds too. I found them to be my favourite roundwound strings. Not yet found a set which i like the same.

I totally switched to flats.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I kept a few sets and plan to use them for ever! :)

Definitely my favourite!

12. UH, dude, $40 for 2 packs is a good deal..

Anyway, no other D'addario string, for me, has come close. Luckily, I just found some fairly new strings from different sets under my bed. My main bass is now happy. Mmm silk. That stuff is just awesome!

thanks for the just strings link! i think I'll be checking in soon!
    $22 for a 4-string set. HOT DIGGITY!
    Alas... $35 for shipping has suddenly made me feel ill...

And now I remember why I never bought from Just Strings. $35 is really insane! A total, rip, but for 2 sets it would still work out nicely... *strokes chin*

13. Yeah, I checked the JustStrings site... they think it's reasonable to charge $35 for international shipping...
    Well I don't!! :mad:
    They should take an example in internet stores like Stew-Mac, they shipped me a 24" truss rod in a well padded, blatantly oversized box for just $12 and change, and it was here in a week.

Ah, and Microbass beat me to the bitchin' :p

And it gets better when you buy a lot of sets ofcourse...

14. Yeah - when I ordered from JS the first time, it took 6 weeks before I got my order - a single set of slowounds, which cost me $35 shipping. Bah!

However, I added up how much it would cost me to buy 2 sets of strings, and including shipping, it would cost around $80 - £45 - the price of one set of sslowounds here!

im still in shock at how new these strings i found are... mmmm

15. I think the people at d'adarrio should listen to this! People want em back! if the technoligy is still there... Make em again!! Put em out at a reasonable price (they were nearly $100 over here is OZ for a 5 string set) and you will sell plenty! Heck, I would buy a box straight off the line now!
    cheers

16. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    My favorite roundwound as well, I still have a few new and used sets laying around.