Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

D'addario ½ rounds = Pressurewounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Thurisarz, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    I went to my local store to buy strings and i asked about the ½ rounds, after i read some threads they sounded very cool so i asked if it was okey to open the package and look at them, and to my surprice they look exactly like my GHS Pressurewounds i have on my bass at the moment, huge disapointment IMO

I thought i was gonna get some "flatwoundy sound with roundwound character" after been said by other post, boy was i wrong, i didn't buy them instead i'm going with a set of fender 7250 nickel rounds instead, as fender says "Stick to what works" and i promise you, i will!

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    My XL Half Rounds are ground wound nickel strings... feel flat, sound mostly round. I know the nickel version is pretty newly back to the market and a Stainless version was what was sold for the last few years.

so you've judged and put down a set of string by as you said "open the package and look at them". :eyebrow:

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

How do you know, if you didn't try them? [​IMG]

You may be right though, as I'd characterize them as roundwound sound with a flatwound feel, more or less.

4. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    If you have something that looks exactly the same it will sound the same isn't it, or is this some sort of magical string that looks like a roundwound and sounds flatwound?

5. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    This was the stainless steel version they had, it looked exactly like my pressurewounds so i don't expect them to sound something there isn't?

I'm not gonna pay $64 just to see they were not what i expected

6. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

No, as you saw for yourself, it looks more like a flatwound, or at least it does to me. The nickel ones and the stainless sound quite different from each other, but they look the same as far as texture. For $64, I wouldn't have even opened the package, personally. Those strings cost me like $25 locally, here in the States. What is it that you're looking for? I see: "flatwoundy sound with roundwound character", but what do you mean exactly? Are you looking for something brighter or thumpier than the pressurewounds?

The classic example of looks being deceiving is the T-I Jazz Flat. It sounds like no other flatwound, but it really doesn't look substantially different from the others. Out of curiousity, how expensive are those in Sweden?

7. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    No i haven't said that, they looked like my pressurewounds.
    I want a roundwounds string, maybe nickel, that sound excellent for deep blues sound and also for some trebly rock sound. These strings are going on a '51 style fender tele bass. I have also been thinking about flats but my fingers don't seem to like them.
    I've read many threads here about them, how would you describe the sound? I don't know if they are available at all here, i have seen some yellow package called Infeld with big black letters.

8. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    These are great strings if you have a bright bass but want a warmer sound without the metallic zing of rounds. IMO they are a bit thumpier than the avarage round with some roundwound growl and less string noise. I like 'em.

9. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I would agree with this. I tried a set and they didn't fit what I was looking for. I was looking for flatwounds with a bit more roundwound sound, but these are roundwounds with a bit of flatwound thump. I ended up back with Chromes.