1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

D'addario Bass Tapewound ETB92's Soundclips

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mark Olson, May 15, 2011.

1. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    SoundClick artist: Psychedelic Bass Jams - page with MP3 music downloads

Here's just a quick soundclip of the new D'addario tapewound bass strings, the ETB92's. I decided to try these strings because they are lighter gauge and lower tension than the other tapewounds I've tried, which means for me that they require less adjustment of my bass for a string I don't want to use all the time.

Bass is a Gibson SG Bass with just the Mudbucker (Dimarzio Model One) through my Marshall 2061X into a 1x15" sealed cab with a Jensen MOD15-120. Not the best speaker for low end, I think I'm going to change it out for one of my Celestions and I'm also having a Curtis Novak Mudbucker put in my SG soon.

Anyways, I might use these strings for some jazz gigs, but other than that they're not quite my taste for the other things I do. Let me know what you think though!

2. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
  3. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    Wow, I'm really digging that tone, especially the mudbucker one.

4. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    I'm using the Tapewounds on my Dimarzio-loaded Rivoli. Love 'em!

I like your clips, man - sounds great!

5. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Sep 24, 2008
    PA
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    Niiiice!

6. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
  7. jerrod

jerrod

Mar 8, 2011
    Do you do anything in particular to the strings for your short scales?

8. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Nope. Just cut them to the appropriate length. I can't use most shortscale strings on my basses because the Mustang is string through and the SG has a vibrato on it. I've tried medium scale strings, but there's really no reason to hunt those down over any other regular set of strings, especially when the strings that are available in medium scale length aren't my favorite anyhow.

9. jerrod

jerrod

Mar 8, 2011
    Thanks. I had read that normal scales unravel when cut down. With bass strings so pricey I didn't want to spend 40 bucks to experiment.

10. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Honestly I've been using long scale strings on shortscale basses for many years now, and I've never had that problem.

11. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    Hi Mark,

I am now indebted to you. Based on your sound clips, and JMJ's endorsement in his "Ask JMJ" column, I decided to try these tape wounds on my own Gibson SG bass. I am loving the feel and balance of these strings. Nice tone. I still prefer the tone of my broken-in LaBella flats on this bass, but I am keeping these on for now just because they are so damn fun to play. Thanks for the clips. Not sure I would have tried them without seeing this thread.

12. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    No problem, hope you enjoy the strings! I'm still using these on my Mustang for jazz gigs and it's about as good as it's going to get without me learning to play an upright. But they have their own character too which can be very cool.

13. Boostedrex

Boostedrex

Feb 24, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    I'm really debating on a set of tapewounds for my Gretsch hollowbody right now. I can't wait to get home and listen to these clips through a nice set of cans so I can get an idea of what to expect.

14. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Do it! I put a set on my Univox Coily a month ago and they're bringing out the tone of the bass so well... I had some Chromes on there previously and they sounded great, but the tapes really bring out the 'hollow' character...

-robert

15. Boostedrex

Boostedrex

Feb 24, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    After listening to those clips, especially the first one, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on them. That sound coupled with the natural (and incredible IMHO) sound of my Gretsch should be a killer combo!

Thanks for taking the time to post up those clips Mark.

Zach

16. I recently put a set of ETB92's on my ATK fretless... LOVE THEM!

First, they FEEL much nicer than the LaBella Nylon Tapes that I've been using for years on my Carvin AC40. The LaBellas are a bit shinier and can feel a bit sticky, initially. The D'Addarios are more satin in touch and don't stick at all.

Soundwise, they're deep and rich, but have enough upper mid content that they can be easily brightened up.

The D'Addarios are also lower in tension vs. the LaBellas, and I like this a lot on the fretless. Intonating notes is so much easier now than it was when I was using the D'Addario EXP rounds on it.

In terms of that "hollow" character, the D'Addarios definitely have it, but perhaps not quite as much as the LaBellas.

My only gripe is that the strings would not work in a string-through bridge (too short). Fortunately, the ATK bridge can be top loaded, so it's not an issue. But I wouldn't be able to use them on the Carvin AC40. On the plus side, this means that no nylon will be wrapped around the tuning post (but I've never found this to be an issue either on the Carvin).

17. mrbell321

mrbell321

Mar 26, 2012
    N. Colorado
    It's been several months and I wanted to know how the ETB92's are holding up on the Mustang? I've got to get a new set of strings and, as long as the through-body doesn't cause a problem, I think these are it.

Thanks,
    Tyler