1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

D'addario Chrome break-in time?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by owensea777, Jul 26, 2007.

1. owensea777

owensea777 Banned

Jun 16, 2007
    How long do y'all think it takes to break in a set of heavy guage D'addario Chromes? I play about every other day little less than an hour each time. It seems like they are taking a really long time to break in and the tension on them sucks (too high). On an ABG btw

2. If your talking about the Flatwounds, The strings sounded bright for Flats when I put them on. I was going to give up on them. Took me about 20 hrs to break them in. (about a week and a half of practice). Now they sound and play great.

3. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I've used Chromes before, and they don't "break in" very easily... they retain their brighter tone for quite a long time, and I really like them for that. They sound great when they mellow, too, but that'll take some time.

I've found that if you go the route of hex-core flats (like Chromes), you most likely want a gauge that's lighter than what you're used to with roundwounds. Otherwise, they're pretty stiff, and are going to stay that way for the most part.

Try a lighter gauge set!

4. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    Hi , the Daddario Chromes take a while to break in , I have had a set on for about 3 weeks now and they are only just starting to sound like flatwounds. Daddario do a super soft gauge set (95-40) that you may want to try if the tension on your set is too high, also the tension on flatwounds seems to vary a lot some sets of strings are very high tension (rotosound) whilst others are very low tension (Thomastik)

5. owensea777

owensea777 Banned

Jun 16, 2007
    Anyone know if switching to a lighter guage of flatwound chromes (currently using the heaviest) will produce much less acoustic sound? This guy convinced me to get the heavy set "because they will sound better for the acoustic," while practically ripping them off the wall. I'm starting to think he did that because no one else would buy them. I'm such a sucker :mad:

6. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Jeez....I'd keep a close eye on your bridge lifting with those things on. They're a pretty high tension string to be using with what I'm assuming is a regular flat top ABG. Fender and LaBella won't be much better and GHS flats feel to me to have an even higher tension. TI Jazz Flats are low tension and very similar to the TI Spirocores lots of guys use on the upright. TONS of sound out of the TI's too.

7. owensea777

owensea777 Banned

Jun 16, 2007
    1) What is bridge lifting?
    2) Can the Chromes actually damage my ABG? It's a normal one I think, a Michael Kelley Dragonfly 4-string.

Yea Talkbass has converted me to TI flats before I've even played a set. I can't wait to get 'em on my upcoming electric fretless, and I'll probably end up just getting another set for the ABG. Damn heavy-guage chromes.

8. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    A lot of ABGs are designed for those crappy sounding lower tension bronze round wounds they all come with and sometimes a higher tension string pulls the bridge off the top. Bad. May not ever be a problem for you but keep an eye on it.

I've been sold on TI's for years but they aren't for everyone. You may have to raise your action and/or adjust yer truss rod for them too....they are very soft.

9. owensea777

owensea777 Banned

Jun 16, 2007
    About the ABG's, damn that's scary. I might as well unstring 'em tonight to be safer thatn sorrier. I have noticed that, with a small truss-rod adjustment, the strings over the first fret have a credit card sized space between the string and fret. Over the higher frets, though, the strings seem to be very high from the frets. Could this be due to the super-high tension of the strings?

And about your second paragraph, may I have to tighten or loosen the truss-rod for the TI's?

Thanks

10. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Yes, but some difference is normal too. Maybe the nut is cut too low? I'd take it to a pro.....I'm just another internet mook with an opinion who hasn't actually seen your bass.

Since I don't know where it's set right now it would be irresponsible for me to say 100% "do this" or "do that". But assuming it's set correctly right now for the higher tension strings you would want to loosen it to let the lower tension ones pull the neck into the proper relief.