DAddario Chrome flat wounds surprised this round wound player

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Green Lantern, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Green Lantern

Green Lantern

Nov 3, 2011
    PA
    I have been playing bass for over 25 years, finally broke down and bought my first set of flat strings. I'm more into modern jazz, and rock music that is more of Fleetwood Mac, Beatles, R&B.
    I have to admit I really like the sound I'm getting with my five string Fender Jazz bass and Aguilar bass amp.

I always liked the modern bright sound of roundwound strings, and thought that flat wound would be sort of thumpy and lifeless. But I have not found that to be the case. Really enjoy the sound I'm getting, and encourage you round wound string players to try it.

The reason I never went to flat wounds is that I never wanted to have a dead dull sound on the bass. I always liked a brighter sound. These Chome flats are not dull but have a nice clear sound. Perfect strings to try for is round wound players. These strings are staying on my bass for a long time

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
    TC.65, aaronious and Remyd like this.
  2. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    They will get duller sounding the longer they are on there (which I like). Chromes actually sound quite bright when first put on and stay that way for a month or so for me.

3. aaronious

aaronious

May 23, 2011
    Denver CO
    Just give it a few weeks, you'll be singing a different song. Lol.

AaronVonRock likes this.
  4. btmpancake

btmpancake Gold Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Apollo beach, Florida
    I'm also new to D'add chromes (6 months) on a 2014 fender mim and I notice these strings stay in tune verygood with the Hipshot type A bridge ,don't know which is responsible. As far as sound; 'To me' they sound lightyears better than the rounds that came with it. Tension feels somewhat higher than other some other brands (maybe the setup/intonation?) CONS- There's a gray film that came on the stings (from machining/graphite?) that plays away quickly. these strings may outlive me and I practice everyday. ''Yes Daddario, I wouldn't mind a side job with you guys too":).

5. Radio

Radio

Jan 8, 2010
    New Haven, CT
    I wanted to try them, and there just happened to be a 45-100 set here used on TB. My parts-built P is singing with them, and haven't changed in two months. I will be trying TI and Sadowsky next, but I really like the Chromes.
    I have Labella Deep Talking flats on another bass, and they are not as bright.

6. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    I have given up on Chromes myself.
    I love the way they feel but not the sound.
    Waiting for my order to arrive so I can take them off.
    But welcome to the flatwound side. :cigar:

7. The Chromes (ECB84) introduced me to the wonderful world of flats nine years ago.

First, on an MIM P bass, which my son played for the high school jazz band for three years. I liked the way the P bass sounded with the Chromes so much I had my brand new J bass set up with the same set (ECB84) when I got it in 2009.

For some reason, the Chromes on the J didn't quite have the same wow factor as the ones on the P and I eventually became dissatisfied with the overall sound and went on my "string journey".

Having gone through several string changes (mostly rounds), my J is back with flats now - but this time with the Fender 9050CL (45-60-80-105). I finally got my WOW back as my J has been happily purring since I put them on a couple of months ago.

8. Jim Pen

Jim Pen

Feb 28, 2016
    Central Arkansas
    I had the opposite reaction as Shawshank, I liked the sound but not the feel.

9. Hawk600

Hawk600

Dec 19, 2015
    Nashua, NH
    Awesome band!

Jeff Scott likes this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021