D'Addario Chrome flats vs. TI Jazz Flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by LoveThatBass, Dec 12, 2004.

1. Joined: 28 Jun 2004
    Until now I have used TI Jazz Flats. Here is my take on how the Chromes measure up as compared to the TI.

I put some Chrome .105's on my Deluxe Zone bass. I need to play them a while to make a good judgement but here is what I have found so far as compared to TI Jazz Flats.
    1. After putting them on, unamplified they had a better tone and more volume
    2. Amplified, they just feel better to me than the TI's.
    3. Another person's suspicion of the TI Flats causing the raspiness of my fingerstyle sound was on target.
    None of that with these.
    4. The TI got a good picking tone but for me lacked in the fingerstyle as it seemed to just get lost somewhere when playing along with a song.
    5. I heard tones tonight that memicked stuff I had not heard in a long time
    6. The Chromes are more distinct, clear sounding, pack a heck of a low end and mids.
    7. One string to the next progress evenly..TI would suddenly go much higher on the G string that was hard to compensate for.
    8. The URB sound playing on the neck was better with the TI. That, I will miss..but these strings are soulful and have a nicer feel to them. None that E string floppiness of the TI.

Unlike in the past of jumping on the bandwagon for a new set of strings just to find I grew to hate something about them later I will play them a while before final judgement..However, I have to say I was impressed how easy these were to play, fingerstyle or pick wise. I even like playing with just the bridge pickup with these bad boys.
    So far I give them a definate thumbs up..lets just hope I don't get thumb heavy and gravity starts to pull it downward as in the past. These strings sound very close to the original Round wound strings that came on my Fender Deluxe Zone Bass but without the round wound feel and string squeak.
    Anyway..my 2 cents here.
  2. Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    What can you tell us about the Chrome string tension? For grims, I tried a set of TI Flats on my P and while they were very interesting sounding and had an "oh so smooth feel" the string tension was way too low for my liking. In this same experimental phase, I tried some D'Addario XL's and the string tension was was tighter than the DR Sunbeams I've grown accustomed to (round core vs hex core). Do the Chromes have a LOT more tension than the TI's?
  3. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    Somewhat more, yes.

I pretty much agree with what LoveThatBass said, Chromes have always been my favorite string
    adje likes this.
  4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    There's a pretty significant jump in tension when you go from TI's to Chromes, Larzito. Playing them was a bit of a chore for me (being used to TI's at the time), but that was also because of the huge action on the bass too (the bassist who owned primarily does upright).
  5. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    Chromes come in three different sizes. For me it's a power thing, Chromes just have more punch and cut through better for me. The one drawback is they make it hard to do more modern techniques [slap'n'pop, tapping, OX type and the like, that's why I have TIs and RWs on the two basses that I use for that type of playing, all the others get... well, you know.
  6. While they are higher in tension than the TI Jazz Flats they did not feel so. I find them easy to play. They have a more controlled feel as compared to the TI's. The TI tend to feel different on the E than the others. It is more "Floppy". Also, as stated the TI tone did not progress evenly from string to string but jumped considerably higher with the G string. The more I play these strings the more I like them. They sound very much like the rounds that came on my Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass but without the roundwound "feel like you are playing on a wood rasp" and none of the string squeak. I had to raise the E string slightly from where it was set with the TI's so I did not get string to fret "clack" when pressing the string. But that was minor and may not bother some people.
  7. Love
    What bass did you use?
    I just put a set of TI flats on my Sadowsky MV4 and they are a love/hate right off the bat. I agree with your finding mostly. The string eveness is not to my like especially when going up to the G. The E sounds the most muted and I've heard of dead E coming in some sets. Mine does not seem dead but the uneveness is annoying. They also seem like they are not as punchy as many claim with exta mids. I don't hear it. The textile feel is not bad at all for me but the tension is quite light. The gauge is smaller than I'm used to also usually choosing 105's. My Sadowsky Flats are very pleasing but I wanted something a little different for the MV4 with maple/ash but it's a very bright bass and the rounds would be too piano like bright for me in my band mix. I really want to keep rounds on this bass but may try the Chromes since you say they are very RW like. Are they groundwounds, or true flats? I'm going to have to a lot of searching for the MV4....
  8. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm using a set of Chromes on my warmoth '59pbass with an Aero P pickup, and they sound very VERY good. :p
  9. OK here is a question. Which set of D'Addario Chromes should I get for a Sadowsky 34" scale, strung through the bridge? I went to the site and I didn't see a 105 set except in the exta long scale and I'm thinking it may be too long. I may have to go with the 100's.
  10. I play a Sadowsky standard four and use the D'addario Chromes. The stock number you're looking for is ECB82 for the .105's in long scale. I've tried many different strings and keep coming back to them. The tone is very even from string to string.
  11. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Have you ever tried Fender Flats? I was wondering because I have a .45-.95 set on my Warwick right now, and I find that the tension on the E is rather floppy, but the rest of the strings are nice and tight, with lots of punch and tone. How do the cromes compare to Fender Flats? That is if you have tried them...

12. the dr

the dr

Dec 13, 2004
    Chromes (50-105) and fender flats (50-100) are my two favorite string sets. I find the E string on the fender flats to be a little floppy in comparison to the rest of the set, and with the Chromes I find the D string to be a little too tight. For me, it depends on the bass as to which set I use. The Chromes seem more lively (more sustain, high end, and dynamics) to me, and the Fenders seem more thumpy and old school. I tend to like the Fenders better for recording and the Chromes better for live shows. I guess I prefer the Chromes with active pickups and the Fenders with passive pickups. Another note is that the Fenders take me longer to break in than the Chromes.
  13. Big String, I use the Chromes on a Fender Deluxe Zone bass.
  14. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I found that Fender Flat are high tension strings when put on my Pbass, and Chromes have more of the same tension as round wound strings
  15. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I've only played one gig with Chromes on my new Hanewinckel Vintage Retro 4 but so far, so good. They are considerably higher tension than TI's, at least to my fingers. I like TI's very much on 50's reissue Fenders but these Chromes definitely are loaded with tone and feel great. Assuming they break in nice (which I expect), I'm probably a new customer. Here's the bass with the Chromes installed, BTW:

16. NICE Bass Boogie... very cool looking.
    I'm going to try some Chromes eventually too. I've been changing strings on my Sad MV4 like crazy in the last couple days. I had a set of TI Flats on and they are OK, but low tension gets to me after about 20 min. and the eveness is not there from sting to sting tone or volume-wise. Last night I put a set of TI Super Alloys on and I'm not really impressed. They are a very "open" sounding set. Nice evenness for volume, but lacking quite a bit in mids which was in away, nice but right off I found them too polite. Next stop .. DR LoRider, Sunbeams, Fatbeams. I may just end up with regular flats on this bass too. I have Sadowsky Flats my NYC PJ and they are the BOMB. It's getting expensive...
  17. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I too just recently switched from TI flats to Chromes. I agree with the problems about unevenness. The main problem I had with the TI's was that I got 4 bad E's in a row!!!!! I also found the B overpowering.

When I changed to Chromes the first thing I noticed was the evenness. I could play inversions and it actually sounded alright. The B was alot more balanced too.

I took an old TI strung bass out of the closet a few days ago and compared it against my main Chromes strung bass. The former sounded as dull as a dead fish.

I'm sticking with the Chromes :cool: .
  18. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    I've had them one my 74 P for ten years now, and the set that is on my 505 for six [I broke the E after five years on the first set]; still sound great. :bassist:
  19. Hey Boogie, that is a manly and very fine looking bass.

Is it a "thumper" with the new strings?
    How is the J-body shape for comfort... better or worse than a regular P-bass contour?
  20. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanks, man! Yeah, it's a thumper, awright. I find the J-style body very comfortable, especially the way Pete cuts the contour on the back. More comfortable (for me) than a Fender but I sure do love my Fender P's, they're just getting too valuable to gig with! ;)