D'Addario Chromes - Black fingers

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Lakini's Juice, Apr 21, 2001.

1. i just got myself a pair of D'addario Chromes Hight Finish Ribbon Wound strings. i guess ribbon and flat wounds are pretty much the same thing, but anyway. they turn my fingers black. whats with this? is it going to mess up my fretboard? or is there anything i am suppost to do to clean then off? thanks for your help.
  2. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    I've had Chromes on a bass before and I can't say that that ever happened to me, interesting...
  3. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    I've had various guitar strings blacken my fingertips. Wipe down your strings when you finish playing and wash your hands. No big deal, don't worry about it. Unless, of course, your entire finger is turning black, then worry about it. :D
  4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yeah, because that could be leprosy....
    do those strings contain chrome? Some people have allergies to certain metals. I know a woman who can't wear gold, she says it blackens her skin, looks like coal. Do they contain any unusual ingredients? I don't know, I'm not a doctor, but it might be a direction to look into.
  5. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Uhh.....buy some different strings, eh.

Seriously, I have never had that problem, but the post about the allergy seems rational to me. Try taking those suckers back where you bought 'em and demanding some retribution.
  6. Used Chromes for quite some time and never had that problem. I'd nix the allergy theory in favor of wiping your strings after playing.
  7. funkastorious

May 26, 2000
    Mpls, MN.
    Don't "fret", that Black stuff is a protective coating put on the strings during the manufacturing process to eliminate corosion.

Wipe with a towel a dozen times and it's all gone.

I just bought some Chromes via default (didn't have my EB flats in stock) and I'm very impressed.

They are quite a bit warmer than the EB that I've been using and they are "easier" to play because of less bite into your fingers.